Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The moon was not full so there was a heavy darkness to the night. Merrick led Selene out two French doors in to a courtyard. The courtyard was surrounded but a dense forest of trees. Selene expected Merrick to stop at the edge of the titled courtyard but he continued deeper into the trees, blocking out the light from the house, the trees shielding the light from the moon. Selene’s sandals sunk into the soft earth that was coated in leaves and moss.

As soon as Merrick was under the canopy of the tress he could barely control his urge to Change. He turned back to Selene. She was looking around, her eyes slowly adjusting to the darkness, while Merrick’s were already complete attuned.

“Selene are you okay?” Merrick asked barely able to contain his excitement.

“Merrick it’s so dark, how can you see where you’re going?”

“When we Change our senses are enhanced. Our eyesight, intuition even our hearing…I would have been able to hear Patrick’s guards outside the motel before they barged in, if I hadn’t been so distracted.” Merrick smiled at Selene’s blush, his white teeth gleaming in the darkness. Merrick knew he could stop from changing, he needed it, “Selene I want you to stay here…I’m going to Change.”

Selene looked frightened as he led her to a wide tree were she could lean he back against it. “Please don’t leave.”

“Selene I want you to see me, you don’t have to be afraid. Stay here I won’t be far. Don’t be afraid.” He slowly let go of her hand.

Selene was reluctant and still a little scared as she released Merrick’s hand. He melted into the darkness. Selene looked for him, but was unable to surpass the dark void before her. She could hear the movement of the tree limbs above her, she looked up. The wind parted the lush canopy and the moon became visible. Her breathing slowed, and time paused as she watched the moon. Had it ever been so bright as it was now? Even in it diminished state it seem larger then she could ever remember it being. Selene sought to bring herself back to the earth by placing her hands behind her on the rough bark of the tree.

Then she heard the call.

The howl rattled her bones. Her gaze dropped from the moon to the forest surrounding her. Surprisingly it was not so difficult for her to see her surroundings any longer. The wolf howled again closer, more near then she had ever heard before. The sound reverberated in her ears, oozing through her skin to root deep in her flesh. She took a deep breath of the cold air. The world around her felt more alive then it had ever felt before.

She saw him then, the wolf…Merrick. She knew instinctively that it was him. He stood not ten yards away. He was intimidating in his stance and his size. Selene held out her hand to the wolf, palm up, calling him to her.

Merrick tossed his head and let out a yip of satisfaction before dancing towards her, his paws barely touching the ground. His fur was black as the night itself, but as he drew closer she noted that his eyes were still the brilliant blue color.

As soon as Selene’s hand brushed against Merrick wolf’s neck, Merrick made a sound deep in his throat, one of the pure pleasure of being accepted. Selene dropped to the ground, Merrick took another step forward and sat next to her, wagging his tail as her hands traveled from his head down his back.

Selene relaxed as she stroked Merrick wolf. She leaned her head back against the tree and let her eyes fall close, she could feel something inside her aching to be set free. She was so at peace that it took her a few minutes to realize that she was longer running her hand down the soft furred back of Merrick wolf, but instead down the hot skin of Merrick the man. Her hand only paused barely before it started to once again trail from his nape down his spine.