Chapter 29

Cato's POV:

I laid wide awake in the warm sleeping bag, Clove in my arms. I stroked her hair lightly as she snuggled closer to my chest. I smiled as I looked down at her relaxed face. I'd been awake all night thinking about what could've happened yesterday afternoon.

Clove could've died, and I wasn't there to stop Thresh from killing her. There was nothing I could've done to stop him. Clove could've been dead in seconds if it weren't for Fire girl. My arms tightened around Clove's body as I thought about this.

Her eyebrows furrowed slightly before she relaxed in my arms once more. I slightly doubted that the Capitol would let us win together, but I really hoped that we could. With a small kiss on Clove's forehead, I decided that it was time to wake her up.

"Clover," I whispered. "Wake up." She groaned slightly and wrapped her arms tighter around my torso.

"Two more minutes." She said while leaning back into my chest.

"Come on, Clover. It wouldn't be a very productive day if I let you keep sleeping." I said softly.

"Who cares? Let me sleep." She mumbled.

"I already let you sleep in." I chuckled. She groaned and sat up. I sat up right after her and hugged her close to me as she tried to redo her ponytail. She chuckled as I planted a small kiss on the back of her head. Finishing her ponytail, she turned her head slightly and kissed my cheek.

"Morning." She said before trying to get up.

"No, stay here with me." I whined.

"You're the one that wanted me up." She laughed as she turned around. After positioning her legs on either side of my waist, she placed her arms on her lap.

"Yes, so I could spend time with you and talk."

"So you don't want to be productive today?" She asked while repositioning her arms around my neck. "You want to talk? Nothing more?"

"Well, this would be productive for our relationship." I said innocently before leaning forward slightly. Her soft lips met mine in a soft kiss as my arms tightened around her waist. My hands rested on her lower back as she wrapped her arms around my neck.

She ended the kiss soon and placed her head in the crook of my neck while lowering her arms to my waist. I wanted to freeze this moment, just for a second. I wanted to live in this moment forever, just me and her.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" She asked as she lifted her head.

"Why don't you tell me about that necklace?" I said as I lifted the locket from inside her shirt. "I don't think I've ever asked about it."

"Well, it used to be my sister's necklace. She gave it to me before she died, so you can imagine how much sentimental value it has to me." After a small pause she continued. "After she died, mum and I never dared to go into her room, so this is pretty much the only thing I have to remind me of her."

I stared at the small locket and ran a finger over the cool metal. "It's really pretty. Anything inside?"

"No, we could never find the right picture for it." She explained. I tucked the locket back inside her shirt and smiled at her.

"We haven't done this in a while."

"Well, we've been a bit preoccupied." She joked.

"Did you like Marvel?" I asked randomly.

"Only as a friend. Why would you ask that?" She said, her smile disappearing.

"Well, you guys seemed pretty close when he was alive." Clove raised an eyebrow at me, so I continued. "You know, you would always talk to him and laugh with him..."