Chapter 18

Clove's POV:

I woke the next morning angrily. I didn't want to go to school and I definitely didn't want to see Cato. The encounter from last night was horrible and I was really hoping that someone else would've open the door. I got out of bed and made my way to the bathroom, like every other day, and got ready. Instead of getting ready for school like I usually do, I got ready for training.

I picked up my bag and started walking down stairs. My mum saw me a furrowed her brows in confusions. "Why are you in your training clothes?"

"Not going to school." I said before grabbing an apple. She nodded, knowing that I wouldn't want to see Cato and didn't ask anymore questions. I ate faster than usual and left the house without a word.

I walked to training and made it there without interruptions. Luckily, the place was deserted so I would be alone. As I walked towards the main training room, I heard someone call out to me. "Clove?" It was Fabian. "Shouldn't you be at school?" He asked, puzzled.

"I decided not to go today. Is it okay that I'm here?"

"Should be okay, just don't break anything." He said as he walked back into his office. I continued making my way to the change room and dropped my things off.

I walked back out and started training. Today, I was going to work on my worst weapons first and my best weapons last. Since I was doing my worst weapons, I headed over to the swords and picked up the swords I used for training with Cato.

I scowled as I thought about him. He made me weak, and trusting him was a mistake. I can't afford to make mistakes right now.

I walked up to the first dummy and quickly sliced its head off. My form wasn't the best as I did this, but it felt amazing to feel the sword making a nice clean cut. I decided that I wasn't finished with his dummy and stabbed it in the heart and stomach. When I was finished, the dummy was completely ruined so I moved on to the next one.

After working on every weapon for at least an hour, I finally walked up to the knives. I picked up my favourite knife and ran my finger along the blade. It really was an amazing blade. I turned to the dummies and threw it with all my might. The dummy flew back slightly and it was embedded deep in the light blue flesh like material. I smirked slightly before picking up another knife.

Just as I was about to throw it. I heard footsteps from above me. I turned and saw Enobaria looking at me through a window from a small observation room. Future mentors usually watch the future tributes train to get a better idea of how good everyone is.

Cato's cousin soon appeared next to her with a glass of sparkling liquid. She said something to Enobaria before looking down at me. I glared up at the two of them before continuing to train. I threw a few more knives before hearing someone walking up to me.

I turned around and saw Cato. My fists clenched around the knife in my hand as I looked at him. His eyes were red and puffy and small dark circles were visible under his eyes. His expression quickly hardened when I glared at him.

He walked away from me and towards the swords. School must've ended because a few more people came through the door. After 10 minutes, the room was full and Fabian entered.

"Attention everyone! Today we are going to be having our annual fighting competition!" He announced. "If anyone beats our two chosen tributes, we will consider changing the tributes." My head snapped from the floor to Fabian, my eyes filled with rage. He did not just say that.

The crowd murmured and stared from me to Cato. Fabian simply smirked. "We also have some special guests." He announced as he turned towards the doorway. All of our head turned towards the doorway and in walked Brutus, Enobaria, Lina and the victor from the 64th Hunger Games, Mason.