Chapter 17

Cato's POV: (starts from beginning of last chapter)

I woke to the sun shining on my face. I would usually be irritated by this, but I was too happy to care. I got out of bed and walked out of my room and went to Cass's room.

"Happy birthday!" I yelled happily. She seemed to be half asleep when I yelled this, but she quickly got up and hugged me.

"I'm 7!" She yelled happily.

"Yep, Clove's coming over tonight for your birthday." Her face lit up as she heard this.

"Come on. Get ready and come downstairs. Mum's got a surprise for you." I said with a smile as I left her room. I took a quick shower before changing into a simple black shirt and denim jeans. When I walked down stairs, I saw my excited sister skipping around the house.

"Cass." Mum called from the kitchen. She came out and smiled at us.

"I've got a surprise for you in the backyard." She said as she started walking to the backyard. When we exited the house, an adorable puppy with dark brow fur ran up to us.

"Thank you, Mum!" She exclaimed happily as she hugged our mum.

"Cato, you can play with the dog when you get back. You're going to be late if you don't leave now." Mum reminded me.

"See you later." I said as I messed up Cass's hair. I grabbed my bag and left the house, completely forgetting about breakfast. I pretty much ran to school and I soon saw Clove. She walked side by side with Joan.

"Clove!" I called as I jogged towards them.

They both turned as I reached them.

"Hey Cato." Clove said warmly.

"Hello Hadley." Joan said with a small smile.

"Ladies." I said and gave Clove a small kiss.

"I'll give you guys some time to catch up. I'd rather not watch you make out." She laughed as she walked away from us.

Clove looked up at the dark cloudy sky before saying, "Looks like it's going to rain."

"Yeah, let's get inside." I said as I led her inside the school. We walked down the hallways and stopped at our lockers to retrieve our books. I dropped Clove off at her classroom and gave her a small kiss before leaving.

I walked down the hallways and entered my classroom. I sat down next to Jake.

"Long time no see, man." He said as he punched my arm

"Sorry, I've been busy." I said as I punched him back. As class started, we both turned our attention back to the board. About halfway through the lesson, I felt a sudden urge to go bathroom as I hadn't gone this morning. I walked up to the teacher desk before asking for a bathroom pass and leaving. I walked down the empty hallways and I finally made it to the bathroom. After doing my business, I washed my hands and walked out.

I spotted a familiar girl walking towards me with a large smirk. "Hey Cato." Chloe said as she stood in front of me.

"Chloe." I said politely before trying to walk away.

"Can I talk to you?" She asked, her voice cracking slightly. I sigh and turned around and saw that she was at least two metres away. A small drop of water ran down her cheek as I looked at her.

"My parents are separating." She said sadly.

"I'm sorry." I said as kindly as possible.

"I think it's my fault. They're always fighting about me." She said, another tear rolling down her cheek.