Skipping School

When the teens all got off the bus at the school, Emma and Ferb walked next to each other but couldn't find words to say.

"I, uh- nevermind." Emma sighed and continued walking.

Ferb stopped and turned to face her, which caused her to stop and look at him with a confused face.

"What is it?" she asked, then was pushed out of the way by a girl wearing a crop top and ripped jeans, with a yellow bow in her ponytail. Emma looked behind her with a disgusted look.

Ferb grabbed the backpack of the bully. "What was that for?" he asked with a scowl, turning her around to face him.

"F-Ferb! H-hi!" Gracie giggled. "Funny that we're together!" she laughed and wrapped her arms around him.

He rolled his eyes and pushed her away. "Would you stop, please? It's just a tad bit annoying." he growled.

"B-but, I'm so much better than her! Why do you like HER? She looks like she just crawled out of the gutter!" Gracie said, jealousy lacing every syllable that came out of her lips.

Ferb felt his face getting red. He wished she was a guy so he could punch the living daylights out of her, but instead, he just scowled and turned around. He grabbed Emma by the hand and speed walked to 1st period.

Emma stumbled trying to catch up with him, but when they finally got to their hallway, she pulled her arm away. "Why'd you do that?" she asked.

"I'm not going to let you get bullied." he said, avoiding eye contact, and looking forward with his brows furrowed.

"I can take care of myself!" she yelled, and ran to take her seat.

Ferb sighed and sat next to her. "I was just trying to help you. Gracie's not the... good... kind of person." he said in a softer tone.

"Look, I've dealt with bullies before. I know what to do. I don't need some big, strong man to get me out of every hole I fall into. I appreciate the help, but I'm not your girlfriend." she said, putting her head in her arms.

Ferb noticed her get quiet, and her breathing seemed to be jagged. He hesitantly put his hand on her shoulder, trying not to upset her. "What's wrong?" he whispered.

"Nothing..." she said, silently sobbing.

Ferb was going to help her, even if they weren't dating. She was at least his friend, and friends help each other out.

He gave the teacher a glance, looking at her and then Emma and then back at Mrs. Harris. She noticed what was happening and nodded with a smile.

"C'mon. We're gonna figure this out." he whispered to Emma, and she looked at him, mascara flowing down her face, and eyes bloodshot.

He took her by the arm and led her out of the room. He walked her down the hall to the bathroom, where he went in with her.

"T-this is the w-women's b-bathroom..." she sniffed.

"I don't care." he said, and walked her to the mirror. She looked at herself and started crying harder. "Shh, don't cry..." he said, embracing her and letting her cry on his shoulder.

"What's wrong, my love?" he said, then widened his eyes as he realized what he said.

"W-what did you call me?" she said, looking up at him.

"I- I didn't mean to say that. I'm so sorry..." he said with pleading eyes. You just ruined it, you big buffoon. What the heck was that? he thought, and felt his face getting redder and hotter.

"It's fine..." she said, hiding her smile by lowering her face into his shoulder. "I don't know what's wrong. I just... feelings came rushing back from freshman year. It's not a big deal. I'm sorry to freak you out."