Part 26

Tom wraps up the filming in London and leaves to start the new project that has him so tight lipped at the same time that you start the stunt training for the car crash scene, and finish painting the walls of the last room to need painting in your place. You only have a little detail painting left to do now, thanks to the help that Benedict and Richard have provided. You've tried to keep Tom involved by sending him pictures of your progress. Sometimes he replies – mostly with photos of him hidden away indoors somewhere, sometimes he doesn't. Reception – wherever he is – is spotty.

Since Tom is out of contact for the most part, and you're nearly done with the major parts of decorating your place, you start to fill your days with as many various projects as you can. This morning your alarm jolts you into consciousness with such force that all your muscles spasm at once. A hot shower does nothing to soothe the persistent ache that follows. You just need to make it through a few more days and then you'll be able to spend all day curled up on the loveseat resting. Oh, but you had already confirmed filming a TV spot on your off day from being Emily. The spot was in the afternoon, right? So you can at least sleep for a few extra hours in the morning?

You're probably sore as a combination of restlessness at night and the training for the car crash scene. Today looks to end up being a short day as a result of how early you started, at least for you and Benedict. The B-roll is off somewhere else at the moment.

Benedict glances his fingers over your collar before he flips his hand to run the backs of his fingers up your neck towards your chin. It is supposed to be a lover's caress but his movements falter when skin contact is fully made. It's one of the moments Jack and Emily are supposed to be trying to pretend that the ground of their relationship isn't rapidly deteriorating beneath them, not one where he shows hesitation. That subtext is supposed to come out in the next few scenes today, not in this one. Maybe it can still work if they cut it correctly. Keep moving. Who has the next line, is it you?

As soon as you are freed from your marks he ducks his head to have his eyes on level with yours, "You're burning up. Are you ok?"

"It's just the lights. I'm fine." A bottle of cold water might help. Ben follows you to grab some water for himself. You try to perk up after downing a few gulps but he isn't buying the act. It's just the pair of you standing there at the moment so you speak quickly. "I just haven't been getting that much sleep. With everything that's come out about the – my stalker." The word doesn't sound right leaving your lips.

The man that had destroyed your things had been into your hotel room so many times during your stay. When you'd found out about it you'd been nauseous. At first he'd broken in just to sit in the same place you'd been. Then he'd started to touch your things – to feel closer to you – was how the police said he'd phrased it.

Then you'd won your award and met Tom, started dating Tom. The man had seen that as a betrayal. He'd taken your bracelet to initiate a way to meet you, hoping that you would announce the fact that it had gone missing and he could step forward and be your hero. You had picked up and gone to London instead.

You shake your head. "My life has been very interesting since I listened to Mark and accepted the role in Touring Sundays." You take another sip of water. You're safe. You're doing what you love. You have a job so you can pay your bills. Be thankful. "Sorry for complaining. I'm just tired."

You notice the director waving you back and you nod, pushing the cold tension within you aside to hear how you might need to adapt your portrayal of Emily. The director actually just wants to discuss the next few days with you – they're talking about starting to film the car crash scene as early as tomorrow! Ben really should be hearing this too, but when you look over he's answered his phone and is in the middle of what looks to be a heated discussion. He catches you watching him and turns to prevent you from being able to read his lips, quickly ending the call when he notices you walking towards him.