Part 39

"Tom!" You squeak out his name as his hands wrap further around your waist to pull you close for a kiss in greeting. Even standing there wrapped up in his arms, smelling the hint of suntan lotion through his cologne, it is hard to believe Tom is there with you.  You can't suppress the giddy smile now plastered on your face, not that you're the slightest bit interested in trying. "But – you're here. We didn't even talk about..."

He nods, knowing full well what you're trying to say, "Of course I'm here." His hand drifts down your back, following your spine. He briefly presses his lips to yours again before moving to your side to mutter into your ear, "You really do look amazing, darling."

Matt's laugh makes you blink out of your daze of disbelief. You look over to find Matt smirking gleefully, not the least bit surprised by Tom's sudden appearance, meaning only one thing...  No wonder Matt wouldn't take no for an answer when you'd tried to go straight home.

Tom is quick to explain when he notices your expression. "I only just told him this morning that I would be flying in to surprise you. Now, ah ah ah!" You turn to punch Matt in the shoulder again but Tom snags your hand to half-steer, half-pull you out of arm's reach of Matt. "– let all these fantastic people wish you a happy birthday."

Richard drops you and Tom off at your place and excuses himself, reminding you of your commitments the next day. Tom has his flight out anyway, there's no point to try to delay anything. Since Tom had last seen your place you've purchased a sofa to match the loveseat he'd given you. Tom beelines for the sofa and sits momentarily before stretching out fully, letting one leg dangle partially off the side so that one foot is still one the floor.

You giggle at him, "Does it feel good to stretch out after traveling?" You have a sneaking suspicion he traveled first class so leg room wasn't a problem but you tease him regardless. He looks so comfortable sprawled out on the sofa. You take off your shoes and step up onto the sofa to join him. It takes a bit of careful maneuvering, but you are able to step over his legs and seat yourself at the far end of the sofa.

At this angle he has to look down his entire body to smile at you, or rather, you have to look up his entire form to see his contented expression.  "Yes and no, but it's an easy fix." He holds his left arm out towards you, beckoning you closer.

After you stretch out in the bit of space between Tom and the back of the sofa you rest your chin on his chest to talk to him. He'd travelled all this way to watch you mingle with your cast mates all night and then relax with you on the sofa. He should be on a beach somewhere rather than causing himself additional stress by traveling to see you. It is only the result of the silence of your place that you realize Tom had shown up at the bar by himself. "Wait - where are the guys? Did you get them a place to stay the night?"

"They're not here." He shrugs in reply, "It was just a quick trip. John had to head back to London and I told Bruce to enjoy a day off. Relax in the sun."

You shift, further wedging yourself between Tom and the back of the sofa, and prod him in the chest, "Even just a quick trip, is it really the best idea to travel alone?"

"So that I can be here on your birthday? Yes."

"Hmm I seem to remember someone being chased the last time he traveled unescorted."

Tom chuckles while trailing his fingers over your shoulder, "Fluke. Hasn't happened since."  

"Oh!" You sit up quickly, "Since you're here, I have something for you!"

After returning from your weekend spent with him in Hawaii you'd had another key to your place cut. You had planned on giving it to him when you went to London to meet his family, but since he's here now... You'd chosen a bronze metal so that it would stand out against the silver keys he had on his key ring already.

He helps you to climb over him but doesn't immediately release his hold on you to allow you to fully stand. "What do you mean you have something for me? It's your birthday. I'm supposed to be giving you something."

Finally squirming your way free you nod back at him as you walk towards your bedroom to retrieve the key. "You gave me a great present. You're here. Just – wait there, I'll be right back."

You can't wait to see his face when you hand him the key. Oh – but should you wrap it up or put it in a box or something? No, he had merely handed the key to his place to you when you had visited him in London. You're suddenly nervous. Why? The man had gone to such lengths to surprise you today and you're worried about what – that he might decline the proffered key?

You flip the key over in your fingers, "You're being an idiot, ______. He's going to love it."

"Love what, darling?" He followed you. Of course he had followed you. You spin around, closing your fingers around the key to hide it from view.  When you raise your eyebrows at him he waves his hand and chuckles, "Yes, yes – Curiosity. Cat. Etc. Etc. Love what?"

He tilts his head to the side when you hold out your closed fist towards him and slowly unfurl your fingers. You watch one eyebrow twitch up, then the other – the corners of his eyes crinkle with the force of the smile now etched into his face. He reaches out and cups his left hand under yours, touching the key in your palm with the tips of his fingers of his right. He plucks the bronze key carefully from your palm before stepping to you and wrapping you up in his arms.

"I do love it. Just as I love you, ______." His lips leave you floating, glad to be anchored in his arms – and doubly glad that you hadn't waited to give him the key in front of his family in London.