Part 41

This time arriving in London you are received by Tom and Bruce, with John waiting for the three of you out in the car. The subject of whether or not Richard would escort you on the flight was the subject of much discussion. You'd won that battle, but only just – so you'd been saved from listening to Richard's soft snoring on the red-eye flight over. John and Bruce would take you back to the airport once the three days you'd wrangled off from work were up, otherwise this trip would consist of Tom, Tom's family, and you.

Well, that wasn't quite true. Tomorrow it would just be Tom, his family, and you – today there was a larger get together and there would be quite a few more people descending upon his mother's house than originally planned. That announcement on the ride from the airport was a bit of a surprise – was this a reunion you were crashing? You had only mentally prepared for a small family meal.

Though taking a shower and changing into a new pair of clothes helped you are still feeling butterflies. Tom is standing in the doorway of the bathroom, watching you reapply your meager application of makeup. Noting his slacks and just-this-side-of-casual dress shirt you'd selected a sundress from your luggage to wear for the visit. The pair of you will be commuting back and forth each day so the beds can be saved for those traveling further for the gathering.

You feel like you're going in for an audition for a part that comes around once in a lifetime and relay that feeling to Tom. "I know they're wonderful people and I can't wait to meet them, but right now I'm a nervous wreck."

"I like it when you're nervous. You're quicker to blush."

His flirtatious tone makes you pause what you're doing to eye him, "Oh God Tom – none of that. I need to focus on not embarrassing myself or you in front of your entire family."

He laughs. "It's not the entire family, but we can drive out to visit more relatives if you're determined to meet them all?" You pick up your damp towel from where you'd dropped it on the countertop and fling it at him. He catches the towel with ease. "Alright, we'll save that for another time then."

He has disappeared, probably to deposit the towel in the wash. "Tom, I only brought a hostess gift for your mother. Will we have time to stop somewhere on the way and – ah!" You jump when he pops back into view, "Shouldn't we bring something more? Something for the kids?"

"We're bringing you." He laughs. "Besides, I thought we decided not to bring gifts?"

Finished in the bathroom, you roll your eyes as you bypass him. The small package that you'd brought with you for his mother just doesn't seem to be enough now. "Tom. I'm not meeting your mother for the first time empty handed. Besides my mother would flip out if I didn't bring a hostess gift to a party."

Tom sidles up beside you and palms the small box from your hands, wrapping your fingers up in his, "You won't be empty handed, darling." He squeezes your hands gently, "That's what I'm here for."

You sigh, tip toeing up to kiss him briefly. "I love you but, no. We are not bringing each other as gifts for your family."

Tom's mother, Diana, greets you warmly when she answers the door. You can already hear the shrieks and fumbling of feet along the floor of children playing inside. It's already a household you want to see more of. "They're here!!" You're pulled into a hug first, only being released once Tom starts to laugh and angles in to give his mother a kiss on the cheek. She accepts the box from you, "Thank you sweetheart, I'll open it later," before turning to study Tom's empty hands and then fixing him to the spot on the doorstop. "But, Tom – where are your bags?"

He looks sheepish, something you delight in. You'll have to work on perfecting your tone to net the same results. "Ah – I thought it would be best if we drove back tonight. So the rest won't have to double bunk?"

"Thomas! You've brought _______ to meet us, not an easy feat considering the pair of you..." She takes your hand, squeezing it as she leads you inside. Tom follows along behind while she scolds him. "And you're going to make the poor girl add more of a commute by driving her back and forth each day?"

There are so many faces, so many people that you are introduced to in such rapid-fire sequence you're a bit overwhelmed. It's not just his immediate family that you're meeting today, but extended family and even some friends that have stopped by to interact with the clan while everyone is gathered. Tom had hovered briefly to make sure you were ok but soon was lured away by the children, who want to play tag with him in the yard and knew he wouldn't deny them.

You're listening contently to the conversation going on in the kitchen, peering out the window occasionally to smile at Tom loping after the gaggle of kids, when you feel a light tug at the skirt of your dress. One of the little boys – Sarah's son, you think – is biting his lip and staring up at you. You immediately kneel down to talk to him, "Hi sweetie. Do you need help finding your mum?" You'd seen her walk through the kitchen a few moments before. She might be outside watching over the fray.

He shakes his head and then points down at his untied shoelaces. How old was he now? Tom had told you on the ride over but all the facts are melding together. Young. And absolutely adorable. Perhaps old enough to tie his own shoes but he was being brave and introducing himself to the new stranger in a clever way.

"You're not letting your Uncle Tom win today, right?" You smile up at him after retying both shoes, making sure the knots are secured. You nod approvingly when he gives you a brilliant grin and shakes his head no. "Good. Otherwise I might have to offer to help and..." You don't get to finish the offer, he immediately grasps your hand in his and starts to lead you out of the room to join in the fun. Evidently you've gained a friend.

Sarah had indeed been standing outside, supervising the excitement on the lawn while her brother focused on keeping himself upright. He has a child hanging on each arm when you are half-lead, half-pulled out into the yard as well. Sarah calls out to her son when she spies what he is doing, "Honey she's not dressed for –"

You shake your head at her, waving off her concern, "I offered. We're good. Maybe they'll go easy on me?"

She'd been a little distant towards you from the moment you walked in the door. Your response catches her a little off guard and she smiles fully, then nodding to her son who had paused in his determined steps to make sure he had gotten his mother's approval. "Alright then. No hanging on her like you're doing with your uncle, though!"

When everyone is called inside to eat, the children are slightly hesitant until they see that you and Tom are heading in as well. Tom's little gang of miniature people seem to hang on his every word, and as a result of your time spent with them have transferred some of that devotion to you as well. You bump your hip into his while the pair of you walk towards the house, "Perhaps dressing up for the occasion wasn't the best plan." His nice button down is a bit rumpled and completely untucked now. "Not that I'm arguing against the white dress shirt."

Tom wraps an arm around you and gives you a quick peck on the cheek, "I thought we said no flirting today." He has to stoop slightly for his lips to make contact with their target because you'd worn flats rather than heels – something you were tremendously thankful for now. Your feet would be killing you if you'd tried to play in the yard with the kids in while wearing heels.

"That was before I saw you out here being attacked by the little ones. You're going to be a wonderful father, one day." As soon as the words leave your mouth you feel your face start to get warm.

As the pair of you walk inside and he leans close to speak softly in your ear, "And you, my darling, will make a wonderful mother."