Part 73

Previously in YOJA: The worst holiday ever, worse even than the first holiday after your parents split when you were younger, is the holiday that won't stop giving. But it's unfair to source all the turmoil you're experiencing in your life right now on the events of that day. No, this drama between you and Tom can be traced back further than that. Just how far back do you need to go to erase all this pain? Can it be erased? Can you win Tom back by a grand gesture - by throwing caution to the wind and flying to see him and apologizing again and again, until the quota is met? Having booked the flight, and landed already, isn't it a bit late to even be considering those questions?  

If walking around Los Angeles was bad, London is worse. Chalk it up to proximity – the same continent again, the same city, soon hopefully the same room . Or maybe this ill feeling is just the fact that everywhere you turn you seem to be able to find a tabloid putting their own spin on the mess that is your life.

Speculation surrounds Tom Hiddleston (36), spotted with a freshly bruised black eye at the airport this weekend. A close friend to the British celeb said he was supposed to be abroad, among other things attending a family dinner with his current (for now?) girlfriend, Touring Sundays starlet (34). Her family remains tight-knit and close-lipped, seemingly anxious about saying anything about the actor or any potential feud that developed over the holiday. Hiddleston himself hasn't commented on whether he received the injury after saying something inappropriate at dinner or...

You want to move away from the newsstand, tear yourself away from the article, and want desperately to scream the truth at the throngs of people pushing past. Richard remains by your side, steadfast, even if he too is turning a little green as he reads the headlines over your shoulder. The fact that they're claiming your family is remaining tight-knit is enough to tempt you to break your promise to Mark, to go ahead and tell all to the next person who dares to shove a camera in your face and ask.

The stars are just like us! Fame can buy you many things. Clearly this international action hero needs further training, at least in manners, after being caught leaving girlfriend's room while spending the holiday her family.

"Richard," you choke out your bodyguard's name, finally turning your back on the words that have held you captive. Your mind is reeling, struggling to grasp on a thought that doesn't sting. "H-have you heard from Bruce or John? This is... this is..." You can't even find an adequate word for the revulsion stirring within you.

Again you witness that strange twitch from Richard, the attempt at a nonchalant shrug that fails horribly.

Oh enough of this. "What?"

He gives up, shaking his head slowly as he guides the pair of you onward towards the rental car desk. He thinks that getting you in motion will help with whatever he needs to admit to you. Distantly a thought surfaces – something about it being easier to admit things to people when you're not having to look at them eye-to-eye. "They, uh, they offered to come pick us up."

"They did?!" A rush of surprise and excitement hits you, almost battling back the knowledge that your sex life is once again fodder. John and Bruce offered to be here, meaning Tom wanted to be here. The surge of hope makes you walk a little faster.

But... but Tom isn't here.

None of them are.

Your steps slow to a normal pace. "Wait, but – did you say no?"

"Nuh-uh." Richard's negative response comes in a forceful grunt. His ability to keep up with your haphazard pace without looking harried would be impressive, if you had time to consider it. "Was yesterday when they offered." The next sentence is spoken at a softer volume. "Before Tom sent them away."