Day in the Hospital

Shortly after I woke up my room was filled with my parents, siblings, and in-laws

Shortly after I woke up my room was filled with my parents, siblings, and in-laws. All asking if I was okay and if I needed anything. The only person I needed wasn't back here. Mason wasn't here. I smelt him, he is near by, but not at my side.

My wolf felt weak, she lays in my head, quiet and recovering from the attack. My side burns as I lay there, silently engaging in my family's conversation. Soon my siblings left, but both my parents remain.

"Can I-- can I see Mason?" I ask and they both nod, leaving the room. Soon enough my mate walks in, sitting beside me. "Where were you?"

"I wanted to give you and your family time."

I shake my head weakly, "Never again. You always come back first."

"Okay," he reaches for my hand and squeezes it. "How do you feel? What hurts?"

"Ribs and um," I take a deep breath, "I think they have me on a lot of drugs."

He chuckles and shakes his head, "They do."

"Can I have some water?" I point to the cup. Mason hands me the cup and help prop my head up. After the drink he moves back to holding my hand.

"I was so scared," he whispers. "So scared I couldn't do anything. I couldn't be by your side."

"Mason," I speak slowly, the drugs blurring my thoughts. "We haven't known each other long, but wolves like me, women like me, we don't die. We get thrown to the ground, but we always get up."

He brings my hand up and kisses it, "Promise me you'll always come home."

"I promise."

"Promise me you'll always be perfect."

I laugh and feel pain in my ribs. Mason immediately looks me over when he senses my pain, "I'll be me and you be you."

"What if being me isn't good enough?"

My hand leaves his and moves up to his cheek, "Kiss me."

"What?"

"Kiss me," I bring his head down while I lean up. He descends into me and our lips meet. It was quick and light, exactly what I needed. When he pulls away it takes a few moments for his eyes to open. "That was pretty damn good."

He laughs at me before my parents enter with Dr. Para. "How's the patient?"

"Good," I answer. "What do you think Doc, am I gonna live?"

"Jade Kimberly!" Mom scolds.

Dr. Para and I chuckle before I wince at my ribs. "Still tender?" I nod and she walks over. She examines the bandages. "No blood, you should be healing fine. Are you still groggy?"

"A little, my brain feels fuzzy," I reply and she nods

"Do you want to try sitting up?" I nod and he helps me to move slightly. Mason is quick to help as well, and with a little pain, I sit up. "I say in another hour we'll have you out."

"Thanks, Doc."

As promised, an hour or so later I was walking out of the doctors office. Well, walking with one arm around Mason and most of my weight on him. Mom and Dad open the door and Mason deposits me onto the couch. He grabs one of the throw blankets and covers me with it.

"How do you feel, sweetie?" Dad asks as he sits in my lounge chair. Mason sits at the end of the couch and places my feet on his lap.

"Tired."

"Dr. Para said the drugs would do that," Mom came and sat on the ottoman. "Katy is going to bring some groceries later. Your house is bare."

"I have food," I defend myself.

"Coffee and pop tarts," Mason laughs, which earns me a glare from my parents.

"Milk too," I add.

"Sour milk that I threw out," Dad says and I groan.

"I'm going to sleep," I cozy into the couch and Mason starts to rub my feet and legs. It isn't too much longer until I fall into peaceful sleep.

&[]

Once Jade fell asleep her parents left us

Once Jade fell asleep her parents left us. Kaity came over, as promised, with groceries. I help put them away and am happy to see a full cabinet and fridge of groceries. "How is she?"

"Sleeping," I sigh. 

"Holden needs these looked over," she hands me some files. "He didn't tell me Jade had to do them."

"Oh, I can't—"

"A tip: Holden respects initiative. They are member requests, the only reason I don't do them is because I can say 'no.' Just look them over."

"Is this an order?"

"If that gets you to do it, then yes."

She smiles and leaves. Taking the files, I go and sit in the lounge chair and open the first file. As Kaity said, they were member requests. The first few were easy, though for the next few I went to Jade's office and found a book of pack policy. I move to the dining table to spread out. 

After two hours, I made it halfway through the pile and had three different books from Jade's office open. I hear her stir in the living room before listen to her stand. "One sec, I'll come help."

"No, don't, I got it," I stand and go to see her using the back of the chair to support her. "I said I got it."

"Whatever," I retort, helping her into the dinning room. 

"What is all this?" she sits at a chair and starts at the finished pile.

"Kaity gave me some work to do," I move back to my chair and continue on the file I was on. Jade picks up a few of the finished ones and read them over. She nods her head as she reading, myself getting occupied watching her instead of the file on hand.

"Looks good." I smile and my wolf howls in approval. "Need help finishing?"

"No, you should be resting."

She gives me a pointed look, "I'm benched from shifting or training for a week. Paperwork is all I have to do."

"Not true, you also have schoolwork," I answer and she scoffs. "How about I order us a pizza?"

 "How about I order us a pizza?"