The Shift

I remember being normal

I remember being normal. It was a long time ago, back before I became a mother, a mate, a Beta, a wolf. To be honest, my life would be so boring with any of those things those. Normal, tck, I'd rather be dead.

|<=

"A what?" I glare at my parents as they sit in front of me.

"A werewolf," my father repeats. "We think you have the gene."

"I honestly don't understand why you wouldn't tell her before I arrived," my grandfather buts in. He stood with his arms crossed, indifferent to the whole conversation. "We'll be camping, you like camping."

"It's January though," I point out.

"The cold doesn't bother wolves."

My parents smile at me as my sister creeps down the stairs to listen in. She sits there and watches my intervention. I nod my head and rush to grab a few clothes and other essentials before we leave. I didn't understand the full details, but I knew Paul, my grandfather, would explain. We sat in the truck with my cousin, Logan. Paul was silent as we drove, only answering a few of Logan's and my questions.

"Why now?" I look out the window, staring at the forest of trees we drive by.

"This is your fourteenth Wolf's Moon, the full moon in January. Every Wolf's Moon there is a widespread shift. Every wolf shifts if it's past their fourteenth year. You both are at this age, if you have a wolf you shift tonight."

We gather our things and start a hike to a remote camping area. Paul makes us gather logs to start a fire and put up tents. Logan struggles with his and Paul grumbles when he has to help.

"What happens if we don't shift?" Logan asks while Paul helps him.

"Stay at camp, I will shift and if either of you do as well, I will help you get your wolf legs."

"Why didn't mom or dad tell me?"

"In case you didn't have one, they wanted you to have a normal human life."

"They should know better," I mumble to myself as I finish the test.

"What happens after we shift? Like long term?" Logan sits on the ground and pokes the fire.

"You join a pack. Jade lives in a different pack then us though. You live in Red Sky, Jade. Logan and I live in Black Night."

"What is pack life like?"

"It depends. You will have an Alpha, the male leader. Luna, the female leader. Beta, who is second in command, and usually the Beta's mate is called the Delta."

"Mate?" we both ask at the same time.

Paul grumbles while finishing Logan's tent for him. "A soulmate. Someone who will love you unconditionally and who you are ment to be with. A mate is everything to a wolf."

"Like grandma is to you?" Logan asks for clarification.

"Yes," he sits next to my cousin and I slowly join them. "Pack life is as you decide it to be. You can be a warrior, doctor, lawyer, anything. You can move packs with your Alpha's approval."

"Is Jay or Anna a wolf?" I ask about my siblings.

"Jay is and so is his mate. Anna is not, your parents never even thought she was."

Anna and I are very different. She was the popular girls while I was the outsider. Literally, I love being outside in nature, hiking, fishing, camping. I belong out here.

Paul watches as the moon rises over the trees as the last bit of sun leaves the sky. He cringed slightly at something before I felt it. A burning, my skin burning, itching, so much so that I want to tear it off. My body hits the ground and the cold numbs the pain, but only slightly. I watch as bones in my hands break and move, the same happens with my legs and hips. My face distorts and I cry out, but the sound is more of an animalistic whimper. I see a wolf watching me, tilting his head sideways when I growl at him.

Soon it all dies down and I simply lay, breathing heavy. I look over to see Logan stuck between man and beast. His claws scratching at the tree he leans on. I am stronger then that omega, a voice in my head comments at Logan's state. The voice seems familiar, like a long lost friend. A part of me that I lost that always belonged there.

My wolf.

You shifted very quickly for the first time. I hear Paul's voice in my head.

How are you in here? I ask him, thinking it was just me and my wolf up here.

Rude my wolf growls playfully at my grandfather, though I don't think he can hear.

A familiar link. We share a significant amount of blood and that creates a familiar link. When you join a pack you will have a pack link. You and Logan won't have one since you don't share enough blood. He explains as we both wait for Logan to finish shifting.

I notice movement in my head. My wolf walking forward. I could see her better, but the whole communication is still hard. Her being is like a ghost, a person I never knew but always had.

I have sleep for many years. I know you, Jade.

You are pretty. I see myself in a phone screen that is sat on the ground. I was a big wolf with blonde fur and blue eyes. I didn't have blue eye or blonde hair, how is my wolf prettier then me?

We are pretty. We will impress mate. We are strong too, made to protect.

Eventually Logan finishes and Paul takes us running. It's hard to balence at first, but I quickly get the hang of paws. We run, hunt, jump around some rocks. Paul just lets us explore. When we catch a scent, he encourages us to follow. To see if it leads us to food or another wolf.

The snow on the ground was fun to play in. We jumps around, the cold is a fading memory. My fur insulates me so I stay warm. The whole night is spent in the woods, and by morning, I'm barely tired.

Shifting back hurt less, but Logan still took forever to do it. We sit around the campfire as Paul tells us the story of his first shift. For some odd reason, I feel closer to him now. Like I was missing this connection with him and I finally have it.

The world around me changed, but I could get used to these cards I've been dealt. It's not like I ever wanted to be normal in the first place.

This is a revision of a pervious story I made. There is a sequel already being publish to this previous book. I will try to update this story faster then the sequel.

 I will try to update this story faster then the sequel