The Alpha

I knock on the door as I tighten my scarf around my neck

I knock on the door as I tighten my scarf around my neck. While I no longer feel cold I still think walking around in a t-shirt and shorts in January is stupid. The Alpha of Red Sky just so happens to be a family friend, who I never knew was a wolf. You see, Red Sky occupies a human and wolf town. I was raised in the human town while attending school in the wolf town. The Alpha is someone I've known since childhood.

"Jade, sweetheart, come in from the cold," Mary answers and immediately pulls me in. "You shifted!"

"Yes, I did, thank you Ma- Luna," I bow my head the way Paul told me I should.

She waves her hand and frowns at me, "None of that. Mary, for you. Always call me Mary. Holden and Dylan are working in the office." She takes me back and before she opens the door she looks me up and down. "You're different. Like no human born I've ever met. Your wolf is strong, like high ranking strong."

"Thank you?"

"Let's see what Dylan thinks," she leads me in and I see Dylan, the current Alpha and Holden, his son, at the desk.

"That's a lot of power for a human born," Alpha Dylan comments before stand. "Where are my manners, Jade. Come sit down."

I bow before moving to sit next to Holden while Mary stands behind Alpha. "How was the shift?"

"I had a lot of fun, once the breaking of bone was done," I smile and the three of them laugh.

"That is always the hard part," Holden comments leaning over. Holden is four years older then me, but he is dating my sister's best friend. No, I bet they're mates! I was practically raised with Kaity, she's my second older sister.

"What has me confused is that you are human born. Both your parents are humans yet your wolf is so strong," Alpha comments looking me up and down.

"Almost like a Beta," Holden smiles at me.

"Yeah, almost."

"Beta Kent is going to retire with my dad soon," Holden explains. "But none of his kids hold an interest in the position. I find myself without a Beta. What do you think, Jade?"

"Me? As Beta? I know nothing about the wolf world," my eyes go wide as I beg him to reconsider. He was raised knowing he would be Alpha, how can I work my way to the third highest position in a matter of a few years.

"I'm not saying it will be easy," Holden chuckles. "But I see it in you, the potential. You are a leader, Jade. I know you can do it."

I watch Alpha Dylan as a smile forms on his lips, "This is a big decision, Jade."

I take a deep breathe. Maybe this was good, I always wanted to help people, to be a leader. A pack leader wasn't on my list but hey, things change. "If it helps," Mary interjects. "I think you would be a wonderful Beta."

Maybe it was that they all believed in me, or that my wolf loved all the praide, but I said, "I want to be your Beta."

"Awesome!" Holden stand and hugs me.

"Now that I think, I don't know if there's ever been a female Beta. Not in Red Sky or any other pack."

"Really?" I furrow my eyebrows at Alpha.

"You two may just make history."

&[]

My first day back at school was... interesting. Everything that was loud before is deafening now. And the smells make me gag. One thing I have noticed though is human and wolf scents are didactically different. Wolves have more of a musk while humans were a light fragrance.

After school, an older wolf drives me to the Alpha house. Unlike many packs, we have an Alpha and a Beta house. The two houses are right next to one another and in the center of town. Once I get there, I notice a few more wolves that are my age, freshly shifted.

The first ones I notice are Ally and Colton, my childhood best friend. I run up and hug them. Since there were so many new scents today, it was hard to tell wolf from human, even though the smells are different. I didn't realize that both of my best friends had shifted as well.

"Come on in, pups," Mary welcomes us with hot chocolate and vanilla cookies. "Now your first few days of training will be general wolf knowledge before we move to physical training. I will be teaching you the more 'school' like classes while Alpha Dylan and Beta Kent take over your physical training.

And that's exactly what we did. After a few weeks of basic wolf lore, we move onto training with other warriors as well as the Alpha, Beta, and Holden. I, however, have to continue private lessons with Beta Kent and Luna Mary to learn the ins and outs of ruling a pack. Most of my afternoons are spent with Beta Kent doing parts of his job. After a few months, I am officially named Beta Heir the same way Holden is named Alpha Heir.

If I'm not training or working with Beta Kent, I'm with Holden, Ally, and Colton. We all work together, making our wolves stronger. Once Ally and Colton found out I was going to be Beta, they set their hearts on being high ranked. Colton even joining the warriors, hoping to one day be a General while Ally has been volunteering with the pack doctor. While our ambitions lead us away from each other though, we never stray long.

At least once a week we would hang out to watch a movie or go for a run. What can I say, were best friends, we stuck together through it all.

 What can I say, were best friends, we stuck together through it all