Stolen

It had been a very l o n g day for Emperor Ludwig von Koopa. He'd had to sit through many lengthy meetings and debates--he'd even had to conduct a few executions which at least made him feel a little better-- and all he wanted to do was head to the royal chambers to check in with Matera Shariee and ultimately go to bed.

Matera Shariee usually happily ran up to greet him when he entered through the main palace entrance. However, this seemed to not be the case tonight. No matter, he thought, she was probably in her chambers playing with Euanthe.

He knocked on the door to her room. When he unexpectedly received no answer, he went inside. This would've normally been a big no-no considering he had not been given explicit permission to enter a female's dwelling, but he was Emperor and this was his daughter, the rules could wait till tomorrow. Upon entering, he was met with the familiar white face of a Clout man in his mid 30s with short brown hair and calm eyes that he could somehow see out of, despite them always being closed. Behind him, he had a pair of average sized black wings, a common conservative, color for priests. "Pythagoras…." Ludwig growled under his breath.

Pythagoras was one of the most influential priests in the Meringue Clouds. Before Ludwig became the Emperor, he--along with other influential priests of important temples--was one of the rulers of the Empire. After he was stripped of his power, he went back to his home temple where he served as the head priest, the Temple of Apollo in Neféli . 

"Your Majesty, I've been awaiting--" 

"Where is Matera Shariee? What have you done with her?" Ludwig interrupted impatiently.

Pythagoras chuckled. "Why are you so hostile towards me? Why must you assume I've wronged you? Her Imperial Highness is in a...better place now." 

"You murdered her?!" Ludwig hissed. 

" Heavens, no! The Temple of Apollo has simply taken custody of her! She has been transported there and she will serve as the new Oracle of Neféli ." the priest explained as if having your child suddenly kidnapped was normal and OK.

"What?Oracle?Why wasn't I informed? What happened to the last 'Oracle'? How do you know she's even qualified?" Ludwig inquired.

"I am informing you of the details as of this very moment, if you'd let me." Pythagoras replied, gesturing to the seat across from him. Ludwig begrudgingly sat. 

"Would you like some wine--" 

"Cut the small talk and get on with the explanation." Ludwig interrupted through clenched teeth.

Pythagoras smiled. "The former Pythia decided to, er...break her vow of celibacy, therefore she is now unqualified and impure and we must find a new High Priestess. As for how Matera qualifies, remember that examination you'd signed her up for, to see once and for all if she had or would develop any supernatural abilities?" 

Ludwig nodded slowly."Yeah, but...how do you know about that?"

Pythagoras took a sip of his wine. "Let's just say a certain little birdie told me…" 

Ludwig was somewhat confused, the little birdie could've been anybody. 

"Anyway, as it turns out, she has been chosen by Apollo himself to serve as his mortal voice of guidance for the people of the Meringue Clouds. She behaved quite strangely when we offered her to him during the examination, almost as if she was posses--" 

"No! I refuse to believe this! Th-this is just….just some excuse to take my child from me!" Ludwig exclaimed.

The head priest was quiet for a few moments. "Alright. If this is how you're going to be, I'm going to be completely honest with you, Your Majesty. I….don't believe you're very qualified to raise a child, much less the future Empress of the Empire. I'm sure you hardly have time to spend with her with all this Imperial Court business, and let's not forget the fact that your wife left you very early in the relationship."