Dance

The next day, the families were free to explore the royal grounds and catch up with their relatives. 

"Hey, Taiyaki!" Piño exclaimed.

Taiyaki was standing outside her family's guest room, with her back straight and feet turned out.

"Oh, 'ey Piño, 'ey Chester!" She greeted them, stretching. 

"Whatcha doin'?" Piño asked curiously. 

"Stretching." She replied.

"Why?" He asked.

"You're always supposed to stretch before you dance. It warms up your muscles. If you don't stretch, you'll 'urt yourself." She explained.

"Dance?" He asked, suddenly very interested. "What kind of dance?" 

"Ballet. I wanna be a ballerina when I grow up, so I 'ave to practice everyday if I'm going to be the best!" She replied triumphantly.

"W-well, I'm a dancer too! A hula dancer!" He told her proudly.

" 'ula? What's that?" Taiyaki asked curiously. 

"It's a Polynesian form of dance, the traditional dance of my peoples. We do a whole oli and a mele, a-and we tell a whole story through the dance! It's super cool!" Piño exclaimed. 

"W-well ballet tells a story too. Like Swan Lake and The Nutcracker. I've watched those ballets and the dancers are so pretty and graceful! When I saw them dance for the first time, at that moment I knew, I wanted to be a dancer. So, in order to achieve my dreams, I have to practice even on 'olidays!" She replied.

"Swan Lake and The Nutcracker? What are those even about? The stories that hula tells are importante and full of cultural singnificance!"

"Significance." Chester corrected from where he sat, eating his snack. He could tell that Piño was probably about to start an argument. He'd seen it happen before. His Papa, Larry, was very confident and proud of his Equestrian career and he had always taught little Piño to have pride in what he loved too. Like Father, like son, Chester guessed. 

"Anyways, I'm very serious about hula and my Kumu Hula is very strict! I go and have practice outside, barefoot on the scorching hot beach in a traditional Halau Hula!" He informed her, getting all up in her personal space.

"Oh yeah, what is this 'alau 'ula called?" Taiyaki questioned. " 'ow can I even be sure that this ''ula' is a real dance form?"

"Hālau Kekuaokala'au'ala'iliahi! And you?" He told her smugly. 

She paused. She had no idea what anything of that meant. She had expected him to say something like the Sparkling Waters Dance School or something of that nature. "Oh. Well...I dance at the Belgian Marais Dance School….but even so, I 'ave a more strict training regimen! My feet are always a tad sore after practice, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make!" 

"W-well, my knees always kinda hurt after practice 'c-cause I have to keep 'em bended but it's a sacrifice I'm also willing to make!" Piño retorted.

"Oh, yeah?" Taiyaki asked.

"Yeah!" Piño replied.

"Children, please stop fightin'. I'm sure your dance forms are both very beautiful in deir own way. I swear...you kids quarrel over da silliest dings…" Chester interrupted,  shaking his head. 

Taiyaki and Piño were both quiet until Taiyaki's giggles broke the silence.

"Yeah, Chester's right. I'm sorry I insinuated that 'ula wasn't real. I'm sure it is more intense than it sounds." Taiyaki apologized.

"Yeah, I'm sorry too… and even though it's important to practice a lot and  give it your all, it's nice to give your body a vacation too sometimes. It works really hard! Which reminds me! I'll be right back!" Piño exclaimed before taking off down the hall. 

When he returned, he brought two synthetic flower necklaces with him. 

"I made these for you guys as a symbol of our friendship!" Piño said, placing the lei made of blue synthetic flowers around Taiyaki's neck. 

"I made one for you too, Chestnut!" Piño added, placing a lei made of multicolored soft, synthetic flowers around his best friend's neck. 

Chester began to feel the flowers, admiring how soft they were. "What is dis?" 

"It's a lei. I made Chester's in hula class a few weeks ago, and since I already know how to make them now, I made yours last night, Taiyaki. It's a symbol of our friendship, s-so you'll have something to remember me by after this reunion is over, just in case we don't see each other again for a long time…" Piño explained.

"Aww, merci beaucoup, it's so pretty! I love it! And I told my Maman that I'd love to see you guys again so she's been talking to your guys' parents about 'aving play dates and stuff." Taiyaki told 

"I'm glad you guys like the leis. My Kumu Hula says I have quite the talent for making them." He said proudly.

"Ok, ok, no need to brag." Chester scolded. 

                                                  *****************

The next day, the family reunion ended. Each of the families packed up their things and made their way back to their respective kingdoms to go back to work. Even though there were a few...mishaps, the first ever Koop Family Reunion would be one that no one would forget.