Pressing The Grapes

"Mama, do we have to visit Uncle Morton? Ugh, his kingdom is soooooo hot, I’m melting…” Tatertot whined dramatically. 

“Look, Tater, I know his kingdom isn’t what we’re used to, but of course we have to visit him. He’s been a little down in the dumps, and wants me to provide him with some sort of support. And either way, he’s family, and family is all we have in the end, Tatertot. You’ll understand that when you’re older….” Wendy Koopa trailed off. Tatertot held in a long, dramatic sigh; all it would do was earn him a pop on the mouth. At least he had his Switch to keep him entertained.

Finally, their horse-drawn carriage pulled up in front of the Birabuto Palace entrance. The Gao driver of the carriage offered to help Wendy, but she declined; she was perfectly capable of walking.

When she and her son ascended the entrance stairs, another Gao was waiting for them. “Your Imperial Majesty, the Pharaoh is expecting you. Allow me, he’s just this way. Will your son be joining us?” He asked.

Wendy shook her head. “No, if it’s not too much trouble, could you have him join the other children?” The Gao nodded before calling over another to escort Tatertot. 

“Now Tater, be good, play nice, and make sure to mind your manners!” Wendy ordered.

Tater nodded. “Yes ma’am…”

And with that, the Gaos led Wendy and her son in the opposite directions. Eventually, Tatertot was led outside, into the beautiful Palace gardens where his cousins were playing.

“Alright Your Highness, I’ll be back for you when your mother is finished. Have fun!” The Gao exclaimed before leaving.

Tatertot led out the long, exasperated sigh he’d been holding in. He was still kind of hot, even though he was wearing some traditional Birabutan (Egyptian) clothing. He’d heard his mother say earlier that it was currently 35°C (95°F) in Thebes (Cairo). It never got that hot in Lambert (Moscow).

Tatertot searched until he found a part of the garden that was virtually covered by shade. He sat there before proceeding to play on his Switch again.

After who knew how long, Tatertot's Switch chimed, alerting him that there was only 5% battery left. He hopped up, running around the perimeter of the Garden, desperately searching for an outlet. This caught the attention of his cousins, who had been idly playing. 

He ran over to the nearest one; she had a star birthmark around her left eye, just like his Uncle Morton. "HEY, WHERE IS ZA OUTLET OUT HERE!?" 

She cocked her head. "What's an outlet?" 

Tatertot groaned loudly. Before he could run off to ask another one of his cousins, his Switch finally died. He groaned even louder. Now he was even hotter from all that running around. 

"What's zat?" She asked, pointing to his Switch.

Tatertot sighed deeply. At this point, his 3 other cousins had gathered around him.

"Who are you anyway? You don't look like you're from around here." Another one of his cousins asked. 

Tatertot stood up straight and cleared his throat. "I am Grand Duke Tatertot Mako Koopa of Frosted Glacier, only son of Tsarina Wendy Koopa an' 2nd in line for za Frosted zrone!" 

"Frosted Glacier? Really?! That's why your voice sounds so funny!" One of the girls laughed, referring to Tatertot's thick Glacian (Russian) accent. 

"Hey, zat's not very funny! Who are you guys anyway?" Tatertot exclaimed, a little annoyed. 

"I am Crown Princess Wesretkau Wadjrenput Netjeretkhau Maatkare Khnumt-Amun Hatshepsut of the Birabuto Kingdom, virst-birzed daughter of za Pharaoh and 2nd in line for za Birabuto Zrone. " One of the cousins said, imitating Tatertot.