(Chapter 17)

(London)

Punch.

I wiped the sweat from my forehead.

Punch.

I blinked the tears away.

Punch.

I locked my legs, to stop them from trembling.

Punch.

“London?”

It was Cam. I ignored him, and just carried on punching.

“London?!” he said, rushing up to me. “Stop! What are you…?”

I squeezed my eyes closed, and punched. A shot of pain ran up my arm. Shit. I’d gotten the angle wrong. I held my hands to my chest.

“London…” Cam said, gently. His voice annoyed me, now. Why the hell was he being so sweet? Why can’t he ever be mad at me?

He tried to get a look at my bleeding hand, but I pulled away, glaring at him.

“What’s wrong, London?” he asked, grabbing my arms. I looked down, at my feet, suddenly feeling ashamed. When I didn’t say anything, he shook me slightly. “London?”

A tear drop fell onto my shoe.

“London? Are you crying?”

“No!” I pulled away. “I’m fine, Cam! I’m just practicing, okay?!”

“Tell me, London. You’ve known me for two years. You can trust me. I care about you.”

“Yeah, right,” I said, nastily. “You’re paid to do this job. If you didn’t get that six-digit check every month –”

Cam slapped me.

“That’s not true,” he said, hotly. I could tell he was really mad. “You know that’s not true, London. If I really didn’t care, why would’ve I hung around so long? If I really didn’t care, why would I still be here? If I really didn’t care, why would I –”

He stopped.

I rubbed my cheek, and watched his face. He was taking some deep breaths in, trying to calm down. I coughed, breaking the silence.

“Sorry, Cam.”

He just nodded.

“It’s okay.”

I nodded with him. Then I leapt forwards, punching his chest with the hand that wasn’t smashed.

“Hey! What the hell was that?!”

“You slapped me,” I said, innocently. I smirked at him. “No one gets away with that.”

Slowly, a smile lit up his lips. He pounced forward, and I ducked with ease. We were playing – if it was for real, I would’ve floored him by now, hurt hand or not.

“You better give in now,” he said, smirking cockily. “Before you get hurt.”

“You’re all talk, Cammy.” I replied. We were circling each other, waiting for the other to attack.

“You had to go to hospital last time.”

“That time when you tried to save me from my kidnapper? Cam, honey, you know that was because I had appendicitis.”

That was why my stomach hurt so much – and that was the reason Cam beat me. Now, he had no chance.

“Whatever. Let’s do this.”

He leapt forward, and I aimed a kick at his shins. He jumped and rolled. I collapsed onto the floor, shaking with laughter while he backed away, dazed, and banging his head against the punch bag. Smirking, he came towards me.