(Chapter 8)

(London)

"Sure," I said, smiling. "Sure, we're friends."

Josh smiled back, and relaxed back into his pillow, like he'd been worried that we weren't friends. The door opened, and we both turned.

"Hello, Mr. Squiggle, are you ready for your meds now?" a female nurse said, bringing along a big cart thing along with her. She was very kind-looking - like a nice grandmother.

"Yes." He glared at me, mouthing, "Mr. Squiggle?"

I smirked to myself. Okay, it was a weird name a five-year-old would have picked out, but it just came out when she asked me for his details.

The nurse attached a bag to the IV drip.

"This is just some more morphine, to take away our pain. Your friend told us about how you got shot. I must say, you were very heroic, trying to save a deer from being hunted."

"Well, we strongly believe in Animal Rights," Josh said, lying fluently. Wow. He was amazing. He should be an actor.

"But, I must say, it is very unusual to trip over while negotiating to the hunters, and accidently shoot yourself in the arm. It's the kind of thing that only happens in movies."

"That is true."

When she turned away, to wipe her hands, Josh glared at me.

"Well, good luck on your Animal Rights campaign," she said, finally done. She gave us both a friendly smile.

"Thank you."

She turned, and left.

"You can't let me have an ounce of dignity, can you?" Josh said, bitterly. His eyelids were drooping.

"Sorry, Josh. Couldn't resist."

"You're horrible." His words were slurred together.

I smiled.

"I know."

"I'm just going to sleep now, okay?"

"Sure."

He closed his eyes, and he feel asleep again.

I sat back down on my chair, and leaned back, closing my eyes, rocking slightly. God, I was tired. I'd been so worried...at one point, when they told me he might not make it...I almost cried. Almost. But I don't cry. I haven't cried in years. If I did cry, I would have cried every single day of my life.

"Excuse me, darling."

I jumped up in surprise.

"Oh, hello."

It was the nurse again.

"I just forgot to give you some water. After long sleeps, people tend to wake up very thirsty."

She handed me a bottle of water.

"Thank you," I said, smiling.

"You're welcome, honey. Listen, I just wanted to say...You and your boyfriend. I see the way he looks at you, and I can tell you'll be together a very long time."

"Really?" I asked, my smile gone. "Do you really think so?"

"Trust me. He loves you."

For some reason, my chest ached. I wish was she said was true. I looked back at Josh's calm, sleeping face, and cracked a small grin.

"Thanks. I hope...he does."

Deep down, I guess I really did.

***