(Chapter 11)

【Josh】

This felt good. Finally not having to walk.

We passed some sort of rural town called McDermitt. London stopped to get gas, and I went to the payphone booth, her Dad’s number written on my hand. I looked into the dust-speckled shiny reflection, at the scar on my forehead, right over my eyebrow. I would probably have that forever. Just because I’d kidnapped London.

I glanced at her. She was meant to be paying for the gas, but she’d gone into the shop to buy some sweets. I smiled. Now I’d met her, I don’t think I can be away from her. I’m glad I kidnapped London. I glad I got shot. I’m glad I have this scar. Because if I didn’t go through all this crap, I wouldn’t get to be with her.

The thought passed through my mind, and I froze, shocked. Did I really believe that? Did I really like her?

My finger paused over the key pad, staring at the back of London’s head.

She suddenly turned, and gave me a smile through the shop window, her ruby red lips curling upwards, her eyes shining. She pouted, and pointed at the massive stack of sweets, asking for my permission. I sighed, but I smiled back at her and nodded. There was no way I could say no.

I turned away, still smiling. There was something about her that just made me feel…

Then I realized.

But at the same moment, the eyes of my family, of their tears, of their belief in me…If I didn’t give the Mafia the money…they would be gone.

I closed my eyes, and banged my head against the payphone. This was my choice. London, or my family.

It was a much harder choice than I’d thought.

If only I’d kidnapped some Beverly Hills Barbie. I would’ve been able to meet London some day. But not in the same conditions. Not this way.

“HELP!” London screamed.

My heart froze, and I looked up. The shop guy had London in a headlock, while his other hand furiously dialled 911.

I ran into the shop, pulling out my useless gun, and running into another fight. If only I hadn’t kidnap her. But fate is funny that way.

***

(London)

My eyes streamed. This shop-keeper had me in an unbreakable head-lock. After all my years of training, I knew there would be no way for me to get the hell out of it. Was it luck? Or did he really know what he was doing?

“Let go of me!” I hissed.

“Don’t worry, sweetheart,” the shop-keeper said, breathing onto my neck, stabbing the numbers into his phone. It seemed too long to be the cops. “This’ll just take a couple moments. The Mafia are very angry with Josh, and want their money back. If I can help that boy ransom you, I get a bonus. So just keep still. I’m calling your Dad right now.”

What?

“Wait…you’re with the Mafia?” I choked out, stupidly using the air I was meant to be breathing in, to talk instead. “How did you know I was going to come here?”

“We’ve got Josh tracked. Did he really think we’d let him go?”

So that was how they always knew where we were.

Josh burst into the shop, pointing a gun at the “shopkeeper”.

“Let go!”

The shopkeeper tensed his muscles, obviously preparing for a fight, and pressing my face into the counter painfully.