Domestic Delusion

"What did you say?"

The words caught in Sam's throat and she had to hold her breath.

"Star? Who's Star?" Mike repeated. "What kind of hippy name is that? It's almost as bad as Moonbeam...or Moonchild." He scratched his head and looked at Sam like she had grown a second head. "You know what I mean."

Michael had finally lost it.

"You don't...you don't remember her?"

Again, Sammy was floored. This was a terrible trick.

"I'm pretty sure I would remember if I had a girlfriend-"

"But you don't!" She cut him off quickly. "You don't remember. What do you remember?

He opened his mouth like he was going to say something, but closed it like a fish. He couldn't remember. It was all blurry. That was strange. His eyebrows furrowed together and he brought his hand to the back of his neck. Why couldn't he remember? 

 Mike's hand raked over the back of his head and neck and he stopped when he felt cold metal. It was on his ear. It was in his ear. His eyes went wide as he looked back over to Sam.

"When did I get an earring?" He croaked, surprised at his discovery. Mike never did like earrings. Why would he have one now?

"Your girlfriend probably gave it to you." Sam quipped quietly, looking back towards Lucy's door to make sure that they were alone.

Girlfriend. There it was again, that terrible and confusing word and Mike didn't like it at all. Before he had time to ask about it Sam grabbed his arm and dragged him to their shared bathroom before turning on the sink and lowering her voice. She needed to make sure Lucy didn't accidentally overhear them.

"We're in big trouble here, Mikey. And if you can't remember what's going on around here, what's going on with you, then I'll have to show you."

Sam rubbed her eyes at Mike's confusion and dragged him over to sit on the side of the tub, scratching at her sweater uncomfortably.

"We got into a fight. You started a fight." She corrected herself, pointing in his direction and pacing across the tile. Michael looked down and shook his head. He didn't remember them getting into a fight. "You were having mood swings, and wouldn't eat, and you started floating Mike. Floating, Mike.  I thought that Star had something to do with it, I still do, but you turned into a completely different person. You were stronger and angrier than I've ever seen, and you were defending her." Sam was going off, trying to knock some sense into him.

His baffled expression didn't help. She would need to do something more drastic.

"You did this to me."

Sam was desperate, and she pulled her shirt to the side and pointed at where she knew the bruises lingered. He needed to know just how bad things were getting.

Mike blinked, but didn't react.

"What am I supposed to be looking at?"

Sam was going to pull her hair out.

"Real funny, Mike." She grumbled.

Sam walked over to the sink and looked in the mirror, stopping when she could get a clear view of the exposed skin. She pulled the material of the shirt back further, not trusting her own eyes.

There was no way. It was impossible. She scrambled, looking at her other shoulder to see if she was wrong. But she wasn't wrong.

The marks were gone.