Welcome to Santa Carla

A/N: Thank you for stopping by! This story is the polished up version of my first fanfic, Samantha Emerson. It is a little more mature than the original content, and I'm so excited to share it with you. If you've read the original, welcome back. If you are brand new, buckle up. I hope you enjoy! -Crimsonsky132

***

Chapter 1

Sam didn't fit the mold her family put her in, and her mother was hardly tolerant of change.

Even though she loved her mom, she knew Lucy wasn't perceptive through the divorce, and her big brother Michael stepped up big time. She started hanging out with him, finding her time spent fixing up his bike, playing ball with the boys, running away from her life in Phoenix. Boy-oh-boy she could run, and run far. That led her to her decision - rash, unfortunately.

She cut her hair.

"Samantha, what have you done?!" Lucy looked, and hair was everywhere.

Samantha had long flowing hair that draped down her waist. It was lighter than Michael's, and shone in the sun. Lucy loved it! She stood, looking at her daughter with horror. Samantha hadn't cut her hair in years. Her pristine hair was now messy and unkempt, chopping it to her shoulders. It was uneven and of novice skill, but she looked into the mirror with confidence.

Change was brewing. Summer was coming. They were moving.

***

Santa Carla was hot with the sun at it's peak, but the crowded car could care less as they stopped to stretch and grab lunch before the grueling start of unpacking. Michael stretched, showing off for the girls walking by and Samantha chuckled, jumping up from her seat.

"Oh, shove off Sammy." Michael grinned, pulling an arm around her as they walked to the stalls of boardwalk food.

"Stay close, you two!" Lucy spoke over the crowds, and she looked around the cluttered pier herself. Boy, times had changed. She grew up not far from here, and the crowd was much more rowdy than she remembered.

Regardless of the heat, the ocean breeze was a welcome change of pace, and the overcast coming in was lovely. Sammy and Michael enjoyed the chance to look out over the sand before heading back to the car. The drive to their grandfather's was also a pleasant one - far enough away from the noise of the boardwalk and away from the traffic of town. The dirt road made Michael smile under his shades, itching to get on his bike. Sammy looked out the window, but she grimaced instead. She spotted several horses on the property, and thought back to the time she was bucked off one as a kid. They crept to a halt in front of the elaborately decorated porch, covered from top to bottom in woodwork. At first, Sammy felt comforted by the cabin, and quickly changed her mind as she took in all of the animals. All of the stuffed animals. Grandpa was well known for his kooky taxidermy in the family, but she had never seen it so close. As her eyes averted from a stuffed beaver, she quickly scanned passed - Grandpa! He was lying on the floor!

"Hey, mom? Take a look on the porch." Sammy pointed to the body. Lucy ran over to her father, stricken with fear.

"It looks like he's dead." Michael didn't know what to do. A moment later, a deep chuckle broke the silence.

"Ha ha! Oh, Lucy, I'm just playing dead, and from what I can tell I'm doing a damn good job of it too. Let me know you guys around." Grandpa took his sweet time getting up and brushing off his pants, saying his hellos.

"Oh dad, that was a mean trick!" Their mom laughed, trying to brush past her embarrassment.

After an extensive tour of the cabin home, Sammy tried to settle in. Contrary to what she had thought, her room thankfully wasn't filled to the brim with taxidermy. During the move, their mom won custody and ran. They didn't have a truck of furniture and clothes waiting for them, and Sammy was upset she had to leave a lot of her life behind. She did have a couple boxes of her favorite clothes, and after unpacking the crammed shirts, she tried to get the wrinkles out of her favorite one the best that she could. The breeze outside was wonderful, and she changed into a light sweater.