A Lucky Encounter

I hope the summer is treating everyone well! For us readers here in the United States, I hope you had an incredible Independence Day! We have a fire ban close to home, so we had to put a halt on firework celebrations this year.

Thank you very much for all those who read chapter two! At the end of the day, the feedback is such a great motivator and encouragement to continue. A special thanks for every follow, favorite, and comment so far!

Samantha and I are eager to know what you think of her run in with Marko, so please let me know what you think of this update!

Now, let's get back to your scheduled program:

_____

Chapter 3

A Lucky Encounter

What were the odds?

Sammy couldn't help but watch as Marko strutted past her, stealing her gaze casually. He walked with such a confidence, as if he owned the place, tapping his fingers on the counter. Was he wearing gloves? Fingerless gloves? Really? Sam held back a scoff. The owner quickly appeared from the back, smiling stiffly at the new customer. All the while Sammy snapped her neck to look out the window; she didn't want to be caught staring. Was she staring? Did he know she would be there? There was no way, Sam decided.

"The usual." She overheard him coo. He sounded so cool, so smug. The usual? Without turning around she raised a brow, her fingers twitching. He must have been familiar with the place. Hearing footsteps approach, Sammy inhaled sharply, trying to stay grounded. She tried to hide her excited expression as he came into view, but butterflies had hammered around in her chest, and she glanced up to catch him in the dim lighting.

"Hey there.  It's Marko, right?" Sammy inquired, making the first move, but it came out much more announced than she'd like to admit. Of course she knew his name, and he was quick to smirk, his hand flying up to hide his curious expression.

"What a coincidence." His eyes were bright, even without the lights from the boardwalk. Marko glanced from her face and he tapped on the booth across from her. "Is this seat taken, Sam?" He implored, his voice smooth, and if she didn't know any better it sounded more like a challenge.

"Be my guest." Sammy invited, watching him slide into the booth with ease.

For a breath it was quiet, both parties scanning the other silently, taking in everything they could.

Sam's eyes roamed cautiously, just as the night before, and there was something peculiar about Marko that she couldn't place. She skimmed his chest, a light shirt clinging tightly to his toned torso. It was tattered, but covered once again by the jacket she took note of the night before. In the light, she looked at the various patches; they had seen better days, but the colors were still catching her eye. Each one fell into place, as if careful deliberation had been put into making the perfect jacket. Sammy did notice the gloves again as his hand roved up to cover an amused grin. Her eyes flew past his parted lips, suddenly interested in gawking anywhere but there.

His expression was reserved as she met his eyes, but there was a playful fire hidden behind them.  They were much lighter than she remembered, and she looked up to see him staring right back at her.  Putting his hand down he leaned back in the seat, slouching and matching her gaze.

"I thought the boardwalk was far too big for us to be running into each other so soon." Sammy quirked, stirring the soup spoon absentmindedly.

Marko smirked.