Time Is Running Out

Mike felt nauseous.

He could barely remember his night. One minute he was in his bed, tossing and turning and the next he was on his bike driving down the dirt trail away from the house. He couldn't remember how he got there, or how he had gotten so far without realizing what he was doing. It was terrifying.

His drive led him to the train tracks, but he stopped at the end of the road at the edge of a bridge.

He...he had been there before.

A shiver ran down the length of his back. He remembered falling from the tracks, and those eyes. He couldn't forget them. And there was a voice, strong and taunting. They were playing with him like it was a game of cat and mouse.

Michael. Michael.

And then he was racing back to the house, nearly tipping his bike over every time he took a turn. He was going too fast. He didn't even remember clambering inside or upstairs until he ran into Sam.

She had managed to drag Mike back to his room without waking up their mom and tiptoed her way down to the kitchen to get him a glass of water. By the time she made it back up to him Mike was clammy and mumbling, but none of it formed coherent words.

"It's okay, Mike. It's going to be alright." She reassured blindly, but Sammy wasn't so sure herself.

Mike was burning up. She turned back towards the bathroom for a cold compress, and then for one lucid moment Mike stared up at the ceiling. He thought he was losing his mind.

"Something's happened Sammy. Something bad."

She paused at his doorway, unable to turn away. A beat passed.

"I know." She took a deep breath. "I think I know what's happening to you."

So she tried to tell him. She was telling him things that would have never made sense. Things that were out of character, even for him. He had a hard time believing it. Mike was having visions - memories that he couldn't place.

Mike didn't know if he believed in vampires, but he couldn't deny the fear he felt. The sunlight freaked him out, and he felt drained all day, but he was wide awake all night. Even with his delusions, he couldn't find rest.

And if Sammy was this adamant about finding the girl, Star, it must have been important.

But it was blocked from his memories.

Sam would never spin such tall tales, not about something like this. But he couldn't shake one thing.

"Sammy, what were you doing up so late?"

Looking up from where she was sitting she tried to hide the warmth that ran up her cheeks.

"Oh," she flustered quickly. "I couldn't sleep is all. It's hard to sleep with a looming vampire menace over our shoulders."

She half joked, but half looked at her brother to watch his reaction. His expression was forlorn. Clearing her throat, a more pressing question plagued her.

"Do you have any idea where the vampires could be?"

But nothing came to him. They would have to wait it out and see if anything else came back to him.

They talked until the sun started to rise over the horizon, when Sam started to doze off at the end of his bed. Mike didn't even have the energy to move her before he too was claimed by the day.

And when sleep came it came suddenly.

And that's how Lucy found them, curled up on different corners on the bed in positions that couldn't have been comfortable. But she didn't to wake them.