The Date Night

A/N: Happy New Year! One of the cheers we had over New Year's eve was to feeling positive and testing negative. (Originally it was and STD joke, but you know, pandemic and things...) I had the inspiration to write, so fingers crossed it is here to stay!

*****

It was harder than Sam thought to try and talk to Mike about his foggy memories, but it was still better than when he was in a blind rage. He looked flushed in the sun, so she suggested he take care of the indoor plants while she looked at the ones outside.

Sam didn't even know if she could give them the satisfaction of calling them plants. They were weeds. There was weed. Did she even need to fertilize weed?

Screw it, she decided, and before too long she was done. She rounded the front of the porch and Mike was sitting down on the first step with his sunglasses down his nose and a cold can of Coke in hand. He passed a second one to her.

"Promise I only shook it up a little bit."

"Just a little bit?" She teased, sitting down and nudging him in the shoulder. It felt so domestic, so normal, that she cracked a grin.

Mike even managed to look down the bridge of her nose to wink at her before turning back to the front drive.

It was nice.

Sam watched as hummingbirds buzzed up to the hanging feeders and the chipmunks that scurried across the dirt road into the grass.

Mike leaned back on his forearms and looked out to the yard. Between the stuffed beavers and deer he shouldn't have been surprised that he couldn't get the glowing eyes out of his head. Seeing any of those animals at night would have been a nightmare waiting to happen.

He tried to convince himself that he was overthinking it, that it really was just stuffed animals that scared him, but he was grasping at straws. He knew it wasn't the animals.

"Do you think Gramps tries to bring any of his animals back to life?" Mike asked thoughtfully and Sammy hummed with a furrow in her brow. "Like he tries to bring them back to life and when it doesn't work he just stuffs them?"

Sam let out a hum and cocked her head to the side.

"Like Frankenstein?" She contemplated, lifting up her arms like the Frankenstein monster. Mike cracked a grin, but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

Sam noticed.

"Only my kids." Lucy chirped from the front door, and she sounded almost speechless. Both Mike and Sam jumped from her interruption. "What wild imaginations you have."

She gave her kids a wide smile before inviting them back into the house. It was getting too hot to stay outside. They had been out there for a while. The house smelled like pasta sauce and if Sam knew anything it was that her mom was making plenty to share.

Mike retreated up the stairs two at a time to take a shower and Sam drifted into the kitchen.

"Hey Sam, would you mind watching the pot for a few minutes? I'm going to run to the store. I forgot the parmesan." Lucy asked blindly, stirring the pot bubbling on the stove. She was moving around a mile a minute, and Sammy watched as she struggled to get her apron untied.

"Yeah, sure." Sam agreed, cocking her head to the side. "What's the occasion?"

"Oh!" Lucy exclaimed, pressing her back against the sink with a laugh. "Did I forget to tell you? Max is coming over for dinner."