Safety First, Frog Style

Thanks for the incredible feedback in chapter one! I hope this chapter helps you through your hump day, and that the Frog's can help you survive through to the weekend.

___

Chapter 2

Safety First

Marko was lost in thought, sulking away from the crowded beach.

Nothing will hurt you on my watch.

Why would he say that? Why would he risk her hearing him? What was he thinking?! He shouldn't have put himself at risk, especially in front of a crowd! Who the hell was she anyhow? Sam. Damn she was beautiful; she stole his attention far across the boardwalk. He didn't mean to follow her, but he caught note of how sweet she smelled walking out from the comic shop. He was keeping an eye on the Surf Nazi's, and completely lost his focus. He was engrossed. His face scrunched up...he wouldn't make the same mistake as David. There would be no point trying to invest in a human; it's better just forget about her, all it would lead to is trouble.

"Marko it's feeding time. Where are you? The surfers are on our turf." Marko could hear David talking in his head, and he seemed more impatient than usual.

"Cool it. I'll catch up with you guys soon." He made his way through the crowd, popping the collar of his jacket against the breeze.

___

The sun peeked through the curtains at just the right angle to shine bright in Sammy's face, causing her to groan. After a moment, she realized she wouldn't be able to sleep any longer, and turned towards the door, slowly blinking her eyes open. The clock read 10:30. After realizing she slept the morning away, she stretched, and made her way to a half unpacked box of clothes, throwing on a hoodie over her thin shirt. Pulling open the bedroom door, Sam was knocked back by the overwhelming smell of pancakes and bacon. Mom must have made breakfast! Rushing down the stairs, she spotted Mike and Grandpa fighting over the last of the pancakes.

"Over my dead body, kiddo."

"Alright old fart, that can be arranged!"

Sammy took the opportunity to run over to the table and snatched the pancake off Mike's plate, too quick for him to notice.

"Looks like there's nothing to fight over now, boys." She winked, taking a bite. Syrup ran down her arm and both Mike and Gramps snickered, finishing up their plates. "Where's mom?" Sam inquired, pouring a cup of coffee.

"Well Lucy got lucky last night, and managed to woo herself a job. She started bright and early this morning." Grandpa smiled.

"Damn." She cursed under her breath, just loud enough for Mike to hear. There goes her chance of heading to the boardwalk.

"Why? Do you got a hot date today?" He smirked, raising a brow. She looked back to him with a grin of her own.

"A double date actually. A girl and her comic books, and her brother finding his mystery girl." she quipped back, wiggling her fingers at the word mystery.

"Make that a triple date. I'm seeing the Widow Johnson tonight, and I don't want you two going out of your way to ruin it." Grandpa chimed in. Sammy chuckled, and Mike rolled his eyes.

"Then we better get ready." Mike concluded.

Mike and Sammy fought over the conjoined bathroom, but managed to scramble and get ready for the beach. It was much warmer out than the day before, and Sammy decided on sporting a pair of denim shorts and a loose t-shirt, a red bathing suit underneath. Mike went for a more rugged look with dark jeans, dark glasses, and a ripped crop top.