2: Friend or Foe

Keith

* Dreaming *

It was already dark around me, the light gradually fading away while I was walking with Shiro and the other paladins. Was this a sign? Something coming to me? A darkness to reign on us all? Suddenly, a black hole opens beneath us. I try to grab the edge but I was was too late. I was too late. I'm accepting my fate. This is the end, the paladins, defenders of the universe, will be dying here, but then I see them. One of the paladins found perch and are pulling up the others. I'm filled with a sudden flurry of emotions... relief, hope even, because it isn't the end. We're saved. The universe will be safe. But nobody comes to my side and my mouth opens to shout for them. I know I'm saying something but I can't hear my own voice. Why? No one stopped to help me, they only looked at me with teasing grins. 

Shiro's already gone from my vision and the last one stares at me with the brightest smile. It's Lance, the blue paladin, a friend to all, annoying but still kind. Caring and obnoxious. The perfect balance between perfect and the worst. 

That's when I heard something I will never forget and it's coming from his mouth of all people. 

"We finally got rid of that monster." Nobody looks at me. I don't even think they know I'm there, but Lance is looking straight at me. I know because our eyes meet. 

Shiro and the others were laughing now. Shiro. I remembered all the fun we had in the past, all the pranks pulled, the brotherly bonding between us. And now nothing. Please don't go. They were all up now, me hopelessly dangling still, failing to pull myself up from the abyss threatening to swallow me up. The paladins were leaving me! Turning their backs to me! They were walking off...

Their laughter echoes around me in the darkness and I'm alone again. I let go and free fall downward. It never stops but I'm nearing water. And when I finally land in it, I stay there and curl up in myself. I'm breathing, but not alive. It hurts but it feels better. Isolated but in open space. 

I can't bring myself to blame them.

I am a monster and I deserve to be left behind. But it felt nice. It felt really nice to have a family no matter how grave our relationships seemed. Nobody cared. So maybe this was all for the best. I let go of my strength and my body was plunging down. Infinitely. To nothing. 

"Ke-th... Kee... Keith!"

I awake to a loud shout before finally realizing I wasn't free falling anymore. I was safe... warm even? I look up to see a man talking to someone but I can't make out his face, my vision still hazy. The nightmare still fresh in my mind. I try to see what's ahead of me, to my sides, around my body. Gather my surroundings. What enemy territory did I land myself in this time? Darkness, blurs, I can't help the whine that escapes from the back of my throat. I'm scared. But the paladins have already let me go, the dream didn't need to tell me that because I already know it was my fate all along. Now I have everything to fear, I don't have the saefty the castle brought me, or the lion to always stay by my side. Fear of not knowing where I was, the fear of not knowing whose arms were secured around my body. Was I being taken prisoner by the Galra? Was I going to be torture like Shiro was? 

A hand quickly made its way to my face and I flinch away. Please don't touch me. Go away. 

They'll go away if I don't move, right? 

But what touched me was the feeling of a gentle caress to my cheek before the tentative clawed fingers moved up to stroke the sides of my head, then the top. The lights were coming back, all of the colours were returning. I could see now. That's when I was finally able to see who it was. I smile shyly but I'm sure the larger man can see my glee. "Kolivan." The man looked down upon me and a voice sprung up out of nowhere. "Is that the kit there?" Another voice sounded, one that had Kolivan nodding his confirmation. Why? Who? The other being spoke again, voice deep. "I'll come to tour the Blade of Marmora headquarters soon. I'll arrive within the quintant." With a curt bow of the head, Kolivan nods again before shutting down the call, the mysterious man gone.