Chapter 21

Our time on the island was perfect. Although the first day we hadn't been able to do much more than eat and then fall asleep in each other's arms, the following days were filled with adventures.

First I'd taken Harry on a hike to Alagoinha, a magical place, and beyond doubt, a must-see in Flores. The view from there was miraculous, an incredible water reservoir, highlighted by a soaring cliff from which various waterfalls emerged. Harry was immediately delighted.

"I'm speechless." Mumbling, he sat on the ground, jaw dropped, eyes sparkling with wonder. "I could write a whole album just sitting here. That's how perfect this place is."

I sat next to him, Oscar on my lap. "It is paradise up here. A different kind of paradise from the ones we are used to seeing in the media, with all the palm trees and coconuts and white sand, but paradise nonetheless."

His jaw was still dropped, making him look foolishly adorable. I chuckled, frowning immediately after. "It's a shame the sky is a little cloudy, today. This would all be even more incredible if the sun was shining."

"Thank god it isn't. I don't think I could have handled it."

"Dramatic, much?"

"Look how green those cliffs are! Are you kidding me? Between you and this magnificent view, I'm already having an overdose of sensations." Intertwining his fingers in mine, Harry inhaled deeply, his eyes closed. "Magical."

After that, we went back home, and Harry insisted on cooking dinner. I didn't know what to expect, considering he always fussed about my cooking skills, despite them being very much ordinary, but he did surprisingly well.

Later that night we stretched a blanket on the grass and cuddled watching the stars.

"Can I ask you a question?" Harry's hands were fiddling with my fingers, his breath tingling my neck when he spoke.

"Of course."

"I've been meaning to ask you since the first time I was at your place, but then I got... distracted." He giggled, and I blushed at the fond memory of our first night together. "When I was looking through your mom's music collection, I noticed there was a considerable amount of Nina Simone's records. Is that how your parents picked your name?"

His train of thought made me smile. "It was, actually. Those records you saw, were passed down from my grandpa to my mom. He was a huge Nina fan, so my mom grew up listening to her. She told me she would sing the songs, even when she couldn't understand a word from the lyrics, and her dad would sit on the couch, his eyes closed, listening to her. Every single time he would tell her the same thing: That's the most beautiful sound in the world."

A nostalgic smile made his way to my lips, as memories of my mom telling me that story, filled my brain. "I never met my grandparents. They both died before my mom was even married. But my mom knew her dad was her biggest fan, so as a tribute to him, she wanted to call me Nina from the minute she knew she was having a girl."

"That's... That's sweet. I like your name even more, now." Harry paused, still playing with my knuckles. "Have you ever thought about that?"

"About what?"

"Kids."

"What?" I pulled away from Harry's arms, sitting up to face him, my eyes rounded in shock.

Harry rolled on his back, laughing. "Calm down, Nina."

"I'm calm. No stress here." That was a big, big lie. I shifted, uncomfortably, uncertain of the direction that conversation was taking.

"Really? Why are you looking at me like I just told you I'm pregnant, then?"