Chapter 9

I woke up to the sounds of Oscar's upset barking and scratching, at the front door. I stumbled out of bed, confusion quickly being replaced with panic. This wasn't an everyday behaviour for my dog, which meant something was wrong.

Tiptoeing my way into the kitchen, I grabbed the sturdiest pan I owned. Whoever this intruder was, I wouldn't go down without a fight.

"Oscar! Come here, baby!" whispering, I sneaked up behind my dog. He whined in frustration, the confirmation I needed to know for sure that there was definitely someone outside.

I glanced over at the clock in my living room, checking if there was any possibility that I'd overslept, and it was just Harry outside my house. The clock marked 7.32 am. Definitely too early. Harry shouldn't be here for another hour.

Forcing myself to calm down, and think clearly, I crouched next to my distressed dog. At least I'd set up my door and window's sensors before I went to bed, meaning that if anyone tried to forcefully get in, the authorities would be informed.

At that moment, whoever was outside started trying to turn the handle on my front door. Had they managed to find the spare key? If they had, I was in big trouble. Oscar was crazy, barking, growling, scratching the door with his little paws, he wouldn't be acting like that if the person on the other side of the door was someone we knew, and loved.

Waiting was stupid, I should have already called 911, ten times minimum. What was I thinking? And where the hell was my phone?

Oh no.

A wave of cold, paralysing fear travelled through my spine, once I realised I'd stupidly left my phone in the bedroom. With my feet glued to the ground, my knees locked in that crouching position, I didn't know what to do. I couldn't move, horror freezing every fibre in my body.

Out of nowhere, a memory filled my mind: mom, telling me a story about how she once prevented a guy from robbing their first apartment, one night when she was home alone.

Gathering all my strength, I started speaking in the loudest voice I could manage, hoping whoever was outside would cower down, and leave.

"Hello? I have an emergency, someone is trying to break into my house."

I paused, trying to sound realistic. "Yes, yes ma'am. My address is 5262 Rosewood Street."

Another pause. "Yes ma'am. I have a friend coming over in a few minutes, but I'm afraid he will be a few minutes too late. I can't stay calm when there's someone outside my door trying to break in!" I tried to sound extra panicky. To be honest, I didn't have to put that much effort into that performance.

In the meantime, the rumbling on my door handle stopped. I stayed in the same place, still crouching, firmly holding my deadly pan.

Oscar, for some divine reason, had finally settled down on the couch. Watching his reaction gave me the confidence to break my protective position. If Oscar was back to chilling, it meant the danger was over.

I stood up, slowly peaking through my peephole just to be sure, sighing in relief when I saw no one there.

I ran to the kitchen, the only division in my house that had a street view, just in time to watch someone hop into an old blue Honda, quickly put it into reverse, and leave. Whoever it was, was wearing a large hoodie, the hood over their head, so I couldn't make their facial traits. It felt like it was a guy, though.

Silently thanking my mom for telling me that story all those years ago, I frantically ran to my bedroom, looking for my phone, and fully intending to make a real 911 call this time.