Chapter 5

"Hey, hey, hey!" Harry jumped off his chair, and quickly circled the table, kneeling next to me. He took my hands in his, a worried look on his face. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. Please just forget what I said, I was an idiot to put that kind of pressure over you. You barely know me. I'm sorry, Nina."

The fact that he felt responsible for whatever was going on with me, made me feel even worse. My crying intensified, all I could do was shake my head, in hopes he would miraculously understand that, whatever I was going through, wasn't his doing.

Harry pulled me up from my chair and hugged me, stroking my back, whispering reassuring words. Slowly, my crying subsided, and I stepped back from his embrace.

"I'm sorry," I said, putting an arms distance between us, but still holding part of his shirt in a fist. I couldn't look him in the eyes. "I'm so sorry."

"Nina?" When I didn't answer, he angled his body awkwardly, in an attempt to look into my eyes without breaking the contact between my hand, and his shirt. It was almost like he understood that connection was preventing me from breaking down all over again. "Did I do something wrong?"

I took a deep breath, trying to keep it together. The tears were pooling in the back of my eyes, ready to start flowing again.

"You didn't do anything, wrong." I let go of Harry's shirt, intending to turn my back to him. He didn't let me. The moment my fingers unfolded from his clothes, he grabbed my hand, pulling me closer. His free hand found my chin, gently turning my gaze up.

"Then what can I do to fix whatever got you like this?"

He didn't ask to know why I was such a mess. The reason behind it wasn't the most important thing to him, at that moment. His interest was not related to some kind of morbid curiosity over someone else's misery. This was genuine concern, and it warmed my heart.

A single tear managed to escape, flowing through my already puffy, bloodshot eyes. Harry caught it with his thumb, letting his finger linger over my cheek, gently caressing it. I covered his hand with mine.

"I'm a fucked up mess, Harry. I try not to be, I do. Every day I work hard just to be normal, to feel normal, but... I'm just not. And if you're smart, you'll get on that plane today."

"I'm not smart." He joked, a cute grin lightening the mood. Harry took my hand, guiding me to the long chair. We both sat, Harry's body slightly turned to face me.

"I'm being serious, Harry. I'm not just having a bad day, this is who I am. You've known me for less than a day, and I've already broken down on you. I've done nothing but being a chaotic emotional rollercoaster. I've stained your shirt, for crying out loud!" It was true. His red and blue striped shirt now featured a few mascara stains.

"This old rag?" He pointed at himself, still trying to lift my mood. I blessed him for it. "Seriously, Nina, I don't care about any of that. We all have our scars. I won't lie to you, I was a little freaked out back there." He motioned to the table area. "But not because I thought you were a freak. I was genuinely worried that I'd been a dick without realising it."

"I hope you know that, this," I pointed at myself, in a circular motion "had nothing to do with you."

"I know that now. But I still want to help you, if you think I can. Just tell me what to do."

I stayed quiet, lost for words. I was finding it hard to believe that any of what was going on was real. Any other guy would be running for the hills right now.

But not Harry.

It was too good to be true.

He was too good to be true.