✰ 27

I walked down the corridor towards Athena’s room. Of course, she was the first person I thought of when I awoke. Now, that everyone was taken care of, she was my main focus. Part of me hoped that she had awoken over night, but another part of me wanted to be there when she finally came out of the coma. It’s only been a day, but I missed her so damn much. I missed the way she talked, how she blushed, how she kissed my cheek, and how she treated me. I’d do anything just to see her open her eyes. Those blue eyes were something to die for, literally. I walked into the room, and unfortunately, Athena was still in the exact same condition. A doctor was leaning over her and writing down on a notepad. No one else in the room was present. The kids were most likely at school, and I’m sure Noa had to work or something. “Good morning,” the doctor chirped. He gave me a bit of a smile. “She’s doing amazing. Her vitals are great. She’s no longer cold, and now we’re just waiting for her to wake up.”

I grabbed a chair and pulled it up to Athena’s bedside. I took her hand in mine, and surely it was warm instead of cold. Her skin was even going back to its natural pigment. The bruises on her face was still visible, but I could see that they were healing. “How long until she wakes up,” I asked the doctor.

He pursed his lips and brought the notepad to his chest. “We never know when the person is going to wake up. It all depends. It’s a waiting game. Just be patient. When she does wake up, make sure you call a nurse in so they can give me a ring. Now, there have been times when people have woken up and lost part of their memory. It’s your and her family’s duty to help her regain any memories if something like that was to happen.” I sighed in desperation and squeezed Athena’s hand a bit. What if she woke up and she didn’t even know me? What if she just looked at me as a stranger and not her girlfriend? What if when I told her who I was to her, she didn’t accept me? My brain kept asking the ‘what if’s’ and anxiety began taking over my body. “I wouldn’t worry if I was you. She was hit with a brick, but the person behind it wasn’t as strong as they thought they were. Miss Merrick should be fine, really. The memory lost is only a small chance. There are long-term effects of her injury, although. She may experience occasional headaches. Her attention span may be almost nonexistent for a while. There may be signs of depression. She may have a hard time speaking, and thinking of words. Anything she goes through, we can get her treated with a bit of physical therapy or just regular therapy, okay?” I stared at the doctor for a while, and finally nodded. He gave me a positive smile. “We’ve had people go through far worst and come out of comas like nothing happened, so don’t let anything discourage you.” I thanked the doctor, and he gave me a solid nod before exiting the room.

I looked over at Athena, and brought her hand up to my lips. “Wake up soon. Please, angel?” All I got back was silence, and I sighed and looked around the room. There was a vase of flowers by the windowsill. I released Athena’s hand, and walked over to the window to see who had brought flowers for Athena. There was a note attached to a stem.

Get well soon, love. – Kat

“Ah, you found my flowers.” I turned around to face a girl that had her brownish-blonde hair up in a high bun. Her voice dripped pleasantry. Her accent made me feel calm, and relaxed. For some reason, I even felt the need to trust her, even though I didn’t know her. “You’re just staring at me. It’s the accent, isn’t it? You bloody Americans love English accents,” the woman said before sitting in a chair. “Kai, right?”

“Yeah. You Kat,” I asked a bit informally as I sat back down by Athena’s side. I took her hand in mine again and stared at the English girl that was sat across the room.

“That’s right, mate.” She gave me a closed-mouthed smile, and then looked over to Athena. Her smile faded and she cleared her throat. “She’s going to be okay?”