✰ 50

After the excitements of last night, Athena and I decided to take the day to rest. At first, Athena wanted to just go lie on the beach and soak up the sun for most of the day, but she quickly changed her mind when I mentioned skin cancer, and also when she noticed that she had red marks leading down the center of chest down to her bellybutton. She complained if she wore a bathing suit, people would think she was a whore because of the hickeys I had given her, and also that she didn’t want to die before sixty because of cancer. Therefore, Athena and I lied down on the couch and watched stupid, romantic comedies that were in the rented home. It was nice just hanging out with her, laughing, and even fooling around every now and then. But every so often, I got a call from Franco who was back in Chicago. He was holding things down until I got back. Franco told me a bunch of bullshit about how the Buffs had somehow heard I was in Florida, and that they were coming to take me out. I wasn’t really worried because they didn’t know exactly where I was at, but Franco seemed to think it was a big deal. He claimed he sent out some extra protection, but he wanted me to safe. I told him that I would even though I doubted the Buffs would do anything to me.

That night, the rest of the gang came over. Franco had also told them about the threats from the Buffs, but they still wanted to go out. There was some grand opening for a nightclub on one of the most popular streets of Tampa. It was owned by a father of some pop singer and everyone was raving to go. To be honest, I wanted to go, also. Hanging out with Athena was fun, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss my few, true friends. Even though, I wanted to go out, I took Franco’s warning in consideration. I couldn’t just go out and hang out in a V.I.P. section, and spread my name around like there was no tomorrow. That’d make me a walking target. If I wasn’t with Athena, I would go out without a care but I don’t know how I would live with myself if Athena got hurt or killed because of me. So, I declined the offer to go out. That caused me to get moans and groans not only from the crew, but from Athena. “Why not, baby,” Athena whined. “We’ve been sitting in the house all day, let’s go out tonight,” she urged.

Everyone but Athena knew about the Buffs supposedly being in town so she didn’t see why I was so skeptical about going out. “Look, Franco called. The Buffs are here and they want to take me out. We just can’t go to a grand opening. It’s not safe. I don’t want you to get hurt. You guys can go, but I’m not going anywhere,” I said firmly.

“Come on, don’t tell me you’re scared of the Buffs,” Jett said as she crossed her arms. “Kai, the Buffs are all talk. They just came back in the game after you pushed them out and killed their leader. They’re lead by a mindless, young prick who’s soon about to be dead just like his father. They couldn’t target you if their life depended on it.”

“Jett has a point,” Jamal said before taking a hit from the blunt he was holding. I reached out for it and he passed it to me. I took a hit as I listened to him talk. “They can’t do shit to you, especially not with us around. I suggest we get strapped and we head out to the nightclub and chill out in the V.I.P. section. You have your girl. I’m trying to get my dick wet. Phoenix is trying to bust his first nut. Charlie, here, is trying get tip from a sexy blonde bitch. And Jett here, is trying to eat some pussy and fuck it, so am I. So, let’s fucking go.” I laughed a bit at Jamal as I looked over at Athena. “We’ll protect you and Athena.”

“Athena’s like a sister to us,” Phoenix confirmed.

“Let’s not go that far,” Jett mumbled. I raised a brow at her, and she looked away from me. “We’ll protect her, boss.”

“I’ll be fine,” Athena said as she ran her hand up and down my arm soothingly. “Let’s go out, baby.”

I took one last hit from the blunt before passing it back to Jamal. “Fuck it, alright. Get dressed, bitches.”