✰ 42

The ride was two hours long, but Harper made it go by fast with all of her stories, and tone deaf singing. Before I knew it, we were exiting the city, and in a countryside region. It was so weird. I’ve never been out of the city. There was so much green. Trees. Shrubs. Grass. All my life, I’ve never been outside of Chicago, and now here I was, two hours away in a small town called Oglesby. Harper instantly stopped singing when we appeared in the area. She frowned a bit as she looked at the small, deserted like town. “This place is so fucking ugly,” she said with a frown still on her face. I laughed at her as I looked out of the passenger window. Sure, the town was small, and almost gloomy like, but it wasn’t that bad.

“Yeah, whatever, asshole. Turn right, and our destination is a mile down the road,” I instructed her. Reluctantly, Harper turned on her signal light and turned down a dirt road. We were driving towards a wooded area. I could already smell the smell of wood burning. “I’ve never been out of Chicago,” I confessed to Harper as I looked through the pamphlet for the millionth time. “This is all so weird. It’s so vacant here. There’s no screaming, crazy, chaotic people. There’s no gangbangers threatening everyday people. I mean, where’s the buses? The trains? You know? It’s so peaceful.” Harper grumbled, obviously not liking how I was admiring the place. For some reason, she really didn’t like the small town. “Come on, Harper. Cheer up,” I said as I nudged her arm. She glanced at me and gave me a slight smile.

“Look, I’m sorry but this town looks like it’s haunted. I feel like a ghost is going to climb into my tent and ravage me.” I laughed out loud, but a smile didn’t spread across Harper’s face. She wasn’t joking. She was genuinely scared of the town. This made me laugh even harder. “It’s not funny,” she screamed, her voice cracking hilariously. I bent over laughing as the car came to a stop. The car turned off, and I finally contained myself. I looked towards Harper to see her looking annoyed.

“Don’t worry. I won’t let a ghost ravage you in your sleep,” I promised as I tried to hold back another giggle. Harper rolled her eyes, and looked out of the window to see exactly where we were at. We were parked in a parking lot behind a thick log. There was a bunch of other cars already parked. Harper pulled out the map of the camp and tapped a spot on it. “Is that where the rest of the group is,” I asked with my brows raised. Harper nodded. The group was supposedly settled in the middle of the camp which looked like it was quite away from the parking lot. “Well, we better get to walking, punk,” I teased.

“I’d rather be punk than a…” Harper tried to come up with something but she fell short. A blush fell on her cheeks as she gave up on her sentence, and lifted the trunk of her car.

“Nice one,” I said with a giggle before I reached to grab my heavy suitcase. As soon as I grabbed it, I regretted packing so much. Harper laughed at my whimpering as she swung her duffle bag over her shoulder. “Fuck you,” I mumbled.

“Maybe you shouldn’t have brought so much,” she said as she slammed the trunk of her car. “Now, you have to walk like a whole mile to the campsite.” I frowned. I wanted to hit her with my suitcase, but I couldn’t lift it up high enough to. Instead, I sucked in a breath and began walking. Harper took the lead with her nose in the map. “What if there’s bears here,” she asked as she looked over to me. She gave me an adorable look of fear.

 I shrugged my shoulders. “I don’t know, he’ll probably eat you first so I’ll make a run for it,” I replied. Harper frowned and looked back into the map. As she walked in front of me, I made it my business to find a way to scare her. Suddenly, I dropped my suitcase, and let out a loud scream. Harper didn’t even look back to see what was going on. She started hurdling the opposite direction as she screamed to the top of her lungs. I began chuckling at how fearful she actually was. If something was to happen, I definitely couldn’t count on Harper. She was so different from Kai. If I did that to Kai, she’d probably pull out of her gun and start shooting at anything and everything. Once Harper got the gist that I was just fucking with her, she stopped running and turned towards me. She was about ten yards away from me.