✰ 1

I watched as the people chatted with each other with joyous smiles on their faces. Why couldn't I be like that? I wish I had friends to hang out and socialize with. But no, I only had one true friend. Don't get me wrong. Noa was the best friend that anyone could ever ask for. We grew up together in the same poor neighborhood we live in now. I could count on Noa for anything but sometimes I just wanted additional support. My seven siblings were a hassle, and even though I loved them unconditionally, sometimes I just wanted to get away. I've been raising kids since I was a kid. That's not fair at all. I never got to witness a childhood. I've been working since I could remember.

It all started when I was only seven years old. Noa and I would go into Old Man John's shop and steal packs of candy as he slept at the register. We would run out and then head to school the next day to sell what we had taken. The money we made was always split equally between us two. Noa had a sick mother, and a little sister to provide for, and then I only had two little brothers, my mother and my drunk of a father. Dad was never really much of a dad. He never provided for his kids, he never paid bills, he never gave us Christmas presents, he never kissed our cheeks or gave us a hug when we got good grades on our report cards, and finally, he never told us he loved us. Sure, he would say it when he was pissed drunk or when he was being overly sarcastic, but he never told us he truly loved us. Mom was a good mother, but she always had bad back problems. She couldn't hold a job for long, so it was all up to me.

It would be nice sometimes to just get a pat on the back, maybe a 'You're doing an amazing job, Athena' or 'I don't know what the kids would do without you, Athena', but all I ever got was a passed out cold Dad on the living room floor at three o' clock in the morning. "Hey, girl," Noa yelled just after she lightly slapped my face. I gave her a confused look, I must've gone off into a stupor. That happens frequently. "You really got to stop blanking out like that, Thena!" Noa gave me a soft smile before looking over to the crowd of people I was looking at. "How much in tips have you gotten tonight?"

"Not much," I replied honestly. I've waited about ten tables tonight, and only had about fourteen dollars to show for it. The worst part about it was that I was a decent waitress. I was the type that occasionally came to your side and asked if you wanted a refill, or if you wanted a takeout plate; yet still I got tipped like shit. "I'm just ready for this shift to end. I'm not feeling it tonight. All these people don't know a bit about where we come from or what struggle is. They just sit on their fat asses and stuff their faces and rudely yell out for their check and dip out without even leaving a decent tip."
Noa laughed at me.

"Someone's caught up in their feelings tonight. I tell you what, when we get off, why don't we go home, take a shower, get dressed, and then go out to the club? Don't worry. It's a Saturday night, so the kids don't have school tomorrow. They'll be fine without you." I didn't feel like going out, but I knew it was only because I was sort of down. Maybe going out could uplift my mood. I just may meet a cute girl, or some stupid guy that refuses to believe that I'm a lesbian just may keep buying me drinks until he realizes that I'm actually not giving anything up.

"It's a deal," I replied with a soft smile. All I needed was to shake myself loose. I needed to let out a little bit of frustration on the dance floor, and I'd be alright. Suddenly, one of my busty co-workers appeared in my view. I worked several jobs, but this was just some late night food joint. The guys loved to come for the beer, and for the skimpy outfits the waitresses wore. Right now, my tummy was showing, most of my legs, my arms, and a bit of cleavage. Most guys drooled over me, and some girls, but almost everyone drooled over the blonde girl that was approaching me. She had boobs galore with a small waist, curvy hips, a big ass, and thick thighs. Guys would slur all the lamest pick-up lines and she'd always decline with a laugh. She was married and had two kids to worry about. The things that guys said always went in one ear and out the other.