✰ 8

Instead of a flashy sports car, Kai was driving an extravagant Audi sedan. The car smelt as if she had just brought it. It was so clean. There wasn't a speck of dirt or trash. The stereo was playing and the bass was nearly rattling the car from the song she was playing. She turned down the music, and she opened her mouth. "What do you think about tattoos," she asked me as she looked over to me. I glanced over at her and watched her put the car in drive. She began speeding down the street at a high speed. If I was in a car with anyone else, I'd be screaming for them to slow down. Kai was so sly and smooth though. She gave me the feeling that nothing would go wrong when I was around her. Which was crazy because she was basically the definition of dangerous.

"They're sexy, but only if you get them in the right places. Some people get tattoos anywhere and everywhere and don't consider the placement. I probably would've had a few by now, but I'm broke," I replied honestly. I watched as Kai nodded her head. "Why did you ask?"

"I want a tattoo. Actually, I want a chest piece. I'm not sure of what yet. I also want tattoos on my fingers because all gangsters have tattoos on their hands and fingers," she joked. I laughed and she laughed too. "Thank you for coming with me tonight. I'll be honest with you. When we get there, a bunch of gang leaders, drug lords and stuff like that are going to be there. A lot of people hate my fucking guts, and most of those people are going to be at this formal. They can't lay a finger on me or you though. There's an unspoken rule, so don't be scared." I loved how she was telling me this now. We were going to be in a room full of people who wanted her dead, and I was going to be on her arm.

We drove until we got to the high-class part of the city. This was where the tall buildings were at, and also the important people. Kai pulled up in front of a building and got out of the car. Soon, she was at the passenger's side, and she opened the door for me. I unbuckled my seatbelt and slowly got out of the car. A man dressed in a tuxedo gave us a smile before slamming the passenger's door and jumping into the driver's seat. I watched as he sped off. "He's stealing your car!" Kai chuckled at me. I didn't see what was so funny. That car had to cost a fortune.

"It's called a valet. They go park your car so you don't have to," she explained before taking my hand. I blushed with embarrassment. Damn, I was so stupid. I began cursing at myself in my head, but I stopped when I felt Kai's lips on my temple. She had kissed my temple tenderly, which made me feel better about my stupid accusation. "It's okay. I nearly shot a guy the first time he did that," she said before chuckling. I laughed, and bit my lower lip. "Now, let's get in here. We're already five minutes late." Kai led me into a huge building that seemed to be a hotel. The ceilings of the first floor were high and there were many golden chandeliers. The floors were beige and marble, and every so often there was a huge golden star in the flooring. Many people passed by us in business suits with smiles on their faces, looking as if they were made out of money. But this was only the lobby, Kai led me into a room that was labeled as the 'Private Dining Hall.' We walked in, and were greeted by loud laugher and shouting. I looked around the room. There were a bunch of men, some older, some younger. The men ranged from all different sizes. Some were stout, some were muscular, some were tall and some were short. Many of them had tattoos or scars on their faces. All of them looked dangerous, but they were dressed well. There were women, too. Most of them were on the arms of the men though. They were dressed up in skimpy dresses.

"Kai, over here," an older man waved Kai over, and she walked over to him with my hand still in hers. When we approached him, he pulled Kai into a tight hug, causing her to let go of my hand. Kai laughed as the man held onto her. The hug was long and full of laughter. The man looked like he was in his thirties, but something told me he was older. His stylish haircut was screamed mid to late thirties, but the gray hairs in his beard told me that he was pushing his fifties. "How are you doing, kiddo? You look nice. You need to eat more, but you look nice." The man turned towards me and a huge smile spread across his face. "Well, who in the hell is this? She looks better than that other bitch. What's her name? Michaela?"