♡ I Don't Want You to Be Iron Man Anymore (Part One)

Age: 16

It was late at night on Wednesday, and you were wide awake while putting the finishing touches to your science fair project. You made sure every single picture on your tri-fold board was placed perfectly, and you knew for sure you were going to impress the judges with your project. 

With three knocks at your door, you quickly flipped your project over to a blank side as your father entered, crossing his arms. "Uh oh, you're up late. Are you copying me?" Tony asked, leaning against your doorframe. "Kind of. I had to finish a project for tomorrow" You said, standing up and walking to him. 

"Yup. You're definitely copying me" Tony smirked. "Whatever" You smiled, as Tony walked into your room and tried to look at your project, but you quickly grabbed it from his hands. "No! You can't look at it!" You shouted, holding the poster board against your body and turning away from him. "Y/N, you know I don't like secrets" Tony pouted. 

"I-I know, but I'm presenting it at the science fair tomorrow. You can see it then" You said, continuing to hold your project within your arms. "I'll be there. I want to be the first person to see it, too. Don't present to anyone until I get there." Tony placed his hands on your shoulders, looking into your eyes before you both laughed. 

"Fine. I'll present to you first." You said, earning a large grin from Tony. He then pressed a kiss to the top of your forehead before turning to exit your room. "Get to bed, it's one in the morning!" Tony shouted as he left your room and closed the door. You put your project away, and prepared everything for school in the morning. You got into your pajamas and into bed, and closed your eyes and drifted to sleep. 

~~~

You were at the science fair, setting up your project and admiring the amazing work you did. You were extremely proud of yourself and the work you put in. "Woah, Y/N. This is awesome!" You turned around to see Peter, Ned and MJ smiling as they saw your project. "Thanks." You smiled, looking at the people entering the gym, looking for your father. 

"Y/N, why are you shaking?" MJ asked, looking at you as you leaned against the table that held your project up. "I-I, i-it's nothing. I'm just really tired, you know? I stayed up late a-and I'm just really... Tired." you stuttered, crossing your arms together and taking a deep breath. "Can you guys give us a second?" Peter looked at MJ and Ned, and they both nodded and walked away. 

Peter took your hand and looked into your eyes, pushing a strand of your hair behind your ear. "Are you okay?" Peter asked. You shook your head, looking away from Peter. "I just really want my dad here, Peter" You mumbled, looking down at the floor before Peter put his hand under your chin so you could look up at him. 

"If there's one thing I know about Mr. Sta-, your dad, it's that you're his number one priority. I know he'll be here for you" Peter smiled. You bit down on your bottom lip, feeling Peter kiss your cheek. "I have to go back to my project, but just get me if you need anything. He'll be here Y/N" Peter let go of your hand as he walked away. 

You looked back at the gym entrance, scanning for your father, and you saw Happy and Pepper entering the gym, smiling and waving as they walked towards you. Pepper was taken aback at your project, and covered her mouth with her hand in surprise. 

"Oh my god, Y/N. You did your project on Avengers Tower!" She gasped, as she observed your project. "It looks really nice, kid. You did an awesome job" Happy held his fist out, and you returned with a friendly fist bump.

"Did dad say when he was coming?" You asked, your eyes going back and forth between Happy and Pepper. "N-No! But I'll call him, I know he would be so proud to see this. Give me a second" Pepper stepped away from your project, and walked to where you couldn't hear her. She dialed Tony's number and the phone immediately went to voicemail. 

"Tony, I don't know if you forgot, but it's Y/N's science fair today, and she really wants you here. Please answer. This is very important to her, and you'd really love her project. Call me back" Pepper ended the call, and Happy walked towards her. "Did he answer?" Happy asked. Pepper only shook her head, and released a sigh. "He needs to get here. I'm going to keep calling him" Pepper grumbled, dialing Tony's number again, but only getting his voicemail.

Happy walked back to you, keeping you company as people began to come up to your project and asked you about it. Happy watched as you explained how Avengers Tower was designed by your father, and how the building only runs on clean and renewable energy, and what that means for the environment. 

Hours passed, and Tony didn't show. Once you noticed other students beginning to leave, you quickly packed up all of your stuff, and asked Happy to drive you home. "Maybe, we should wait. He could get here in a few minutes!" Pepper insisted. "He's not coming, I should've known he wouldn't. I just want to go home" You said, taking your project off from the table and throwing it out in a nearby garbage can. 

"Please, can we just go home" You asked, feeling tears falling from your eyes. "Of course, lets go" Pepper said softly, wrapping her arm around your shoulder and walking out of the school with you. Happy walked over to the garbage can and pulled your project out, feeling like someone was staring at him. He turned around to a group of kids who were in your grade, giving him a confused look. 

"What are you looking at? I might be taking this out, but I could easily fit all of you in here!" Happy shouted as they quickly scurried off. "Yeah, run. That's what I thought" Happy grumbled to himself before walking out of the school. 

~~~

You walked into your house, walking right past your father who was waiting for your arrival. "Hey-" he said, but you continued walking straight to your room. Pepper and Happy walked in, looking at Tony with solemn in their eyes. "What happened with Y/N?" Tony asked. "You missed her science fair, Tony!" Pepper shouted, unable to hold back her rage. Tony's face turned pale, and he closed his eyes and buried his face into his palms. 

"I-I completely forgot" He mumbled, looking up at Happy and Pepper. "The poor girl was standing there, waiting for you. I called you ten times, Tony. You didn't even text me back! I don't know what could've been more important that supporting Y/N today!" Pepper yelled. "I was stuck in the lab I couldn't-"

"That's your excuse? You were stuck in the lab? Wow..." Pepper scoffed and walked away, leaving Tony and Happy by themselves. Happy walked over towards Tony, handing him your project. "Here, she tried to throw this away" Happy looked at Tony, as he opened the folded pieces of your project, and felt a pang in his chest as he saw the photos of Avengers Tower, along with photos of Iron Man.

Tony closed his eyes and could feel the regret building within him, as he turned away from Happy and walked to your room. Tony knocked on the door, earning a loud 'No' screamed to him, but he opened the door anyways. He saw you wrapped in your blankets like a sad burrito, and he sat at the edge of your bed. 

"So, Avengers Tower, huh?" He started. "Get out" you replied, Tony simply ignored you. "I'm so sorry, Y/N. I really am. I just got so wrapped up in what I was doing" Tony said, looking at you, but you had your face hidden. "How can I make this better?" Tony asked, pulling the covers away from your face. 

"I don't want you to be Iron Man anymore" You whimpered. Tony was immediately thrown off, and he stood up from your bed. "What did you just say?" He grumbled, feeling his hands twitch into a fist. You sat up in your bed, looking right into your fathers eyes.

"I'm so tired of being second to Iron Man. You're my dad, and you weren't even there for me today. Why, because you were busy fixing your dumb suits in the garage? You could take a break y'know. No wonder why the Avengers fell apart, because you're so wrapped up in always being the hero, but you weren't a hero today!" You screamed. 

Tony felt like he was shot by bullets hearing how angry you were with him. All he could do was nod, before exiting your room. He tried to see if Pepper or Happy were still around to try and talk to him, but he was left alone. He stumbled downstairs to the lab, feeling as if his heart had been torn out and stomped on. He knew that he had to make this up to you, but now it was left up to 'how' he would...