Chapter 13: Pitiful Truths

As Katherine’s hand moved from Julian’s, she stepped backwards as the dance required. The lively music had helped her spirits and she was now participating as if there was nothing worrying her, even though the bags underneath her eyes said otherwise. She clutched tightly onto the side of her cream gown, allowing her movement to be more risqué than most females in the room.

But, she didn’t care. It had been so overwhelming that this one night would be her release before she could focus again. Georgina had been right and this fruitless mingling had led to a sense of release. 

“I told you I would be old enough to be your father. My nephew would definitely agree with me.” 

Katherine’s heart raced faster as she saw her new partner for the first time in the dance. She raised her head and met the eyes of an elderly man. The dance required the men to move after they had stopped touching the palm of their female partner, but Katherine had barely noticed the change. He held her gaze and she instantly saw a dominate male. He had lines etched into his face and eyes as green as a moonlit forest. 

Stepping backwards and to the left, gave Katherine time to think. Was it safe to trust this man? She did not know what he would gain from William’s freedom and now Lester had left, she did not feel as confident as she did beforehand. All the men who snapped her attention through fear had raped her or beaten her, or both. She liked to think she wasn’t the same person anymore, but it was instantly recognisable she wasn’t able to as she quietly whispered.

“Who are you?”

“That is of little importance.” 

He took her hand and followed the rest of the line, as they moved across the dance floor. Looking straight ahead he continued to talk. “I do know your husband, even if he does not know me. I would hope you take my assistance because I know it is risky getting help from elsewhere. I want you to take this letter and when you feel ready, I am at your beck and call.”

As Katherine spilt from him again, she tried to think of a reason why not to. If she found out who he was, maybe he could be an ally. Otherwise, she could toss it into the fireplace. 

Although she could confirm her suspicions in her mind, Katherine wanted to reassure herself that this man wasn’t on the hunt for his next dowry. In addition, he wasn’t looking to build up his own business using William’s misfortune. She could feel the woman behind her about to move, so quickly asked. 

“Did you send me the letter sir?”

Katherine had to repeat herself because of the music. She had learnt a lot whilst staying with Georgina and although Julian was there, they went to many events as single, young ladies. It meant the dances came naturally and this particular group dance, would not be too much of a problem when talking to the man. 

“There are many letters out there, young lady.” The man said, blinking as a bevy of young dancers passed them. Once they had moved out of his way, he simply added. “But yes, I sent the letter offering my assistance.”

When she linked hands with him, she felt him probing into her. As they made their way to the end of the set, Katherine and her partner continued their awkward silence. 

Her heart continued to beat until he pressed a letter into her palm. He did not look at her again, but went to the end of his line and bowed. Katherine drew a deep curtsey and clutching the letter, running off to find Mary. 

+++

Last night, Lester had refused to take her home. He hadn’t given her a reason and had retired to his room, making it unforgivable to talk to him until daylight. Katherine had been treated with the uttermost respect, spent time with Christian, and had a decent night’s sleep. Now, it was daylight. Her body weighed twice as much and her thoughts attacked her every time she did not have food in her mouth.