Chapter 1: A Diamond Engagement Ring

Dedication: This chapter is dedicated to xXsilentloverxX. She made the cover, and the other one in the trailer. Simple yet effective :) A small thanks for her having to put up with me.

++++

Meepy: Read this seriously. From this point onwards, this story has quite a few themes. It has the systems of prisons in the 19th century, the mystery of who poisoned William, who framed him. It has Katherine's exploration of her past, including slavery in both the UK and USA. 

This book will include racist (in a modern context) and sexist comments (modern again) and will have upsetting chapters. I'm not here to depress anyone, but I really don't want any naive comments which say I must hate black people or white people or whatever. I've researched, I'm not bias and I'm going to make this story the best it can be at this point.

I got negative comments, not because of The Girl With The Sunset Eyes was written badly (I have not edited it yet) but because the actress chosen to play Katherine was mixed race. How very dare I? No. It is my story. The whole point of TGWTSE was to promote the idea that characteristics overrules colour, I didn't think I needed to bring it up, but some people didn't grasp that. The actress was suited to the role in my opinion, and I'm sure there are other worthy female (fully) black actress. I'll probably find some myself and use them for the cast of this story. Otherwise, I'll have to ask again XD

In this story there are more black people, Katherine was in an isolated situation, so I didn't need to. I obviously believe in fair chances for all races, otherwise I wouldn't have written this or The Girl With The Sunset Eyes. Do not read if you're going to complain, there are plenty of books worthy of your time. There is a difference between constructive criticism and being unfair.

I'm really sorry for wasting your time, as this probably doesn't apply to you. If it does then you're quite shallow. 

++++

Chapter 1 

1st November 1801

London

William tugged at the pathetic mask on his face, frowning at his brother for making him put it on. It ruined his entire costume. Tonight, he had come as the Roman Marcus Antonius, Mark Antony, and now it was ruined because he had forgotten it was a masquerade. Fighting for space on his head was a full face mask. It was simple enough, white with holes intricately cut for a mouth, nostrils and eye pieces.

But, the mask made it difficult for the expensive wreath of leaves on his blond hair to stay put. He itched to throw the mask out the window, once he had snapped the straps off. Instead, he nodded as he and Lester walked down the stairs together.

As they made their entrance, the two eligible Blake brothers, smiled gracefully. The acute eyes that they had both inherited observed the ballroom, as they headed down the marble stairs. William had worn a traditional Roman toga, which reached to his brown, leather, sandals. He had picked a royal purple drape, and held a plain scroll in his hand.

Lester almost laughed at his brother’s evident displeasure. Dressed up as a pirate, he could only see him through one eye, but that was enough. His chocolate brown eyes flickered over a man dressed as a highway man, who toasted him, and then his mind returned to his entrance. The black eye patch worked well with his long blond hair and his fitting outfit. Snug black breeches, an expensive linen shirt, a black coat and a pistol.

They bowed simultaneously to their hosts, tonight a medieval knight and princess. “You look wonderful, my Lady,” Lester kissed the countess’ hand, and greeted the Earl with a nod. Lester could charm a dead dog, and it seemed to escape a reprieve for not wearing a mask, or making her accept that an eye patch counted.