Chapter 9: He Demanded

MeepyM: Apologies for the late chapter. Looking for sixth forms (16-19 education) has drained me. Still looking, hoping to get some interviews or find the one for me. Hope you enjoy this and feedback would make my crappy week :)

Chapter 9 

He Demanded. 

The shed that she had to herself was to keep her quiet when her master was away. A small hut at the back of his land, which she could cultivate the beautiful plants she needed.  They grew so limitless it seemed she was in a fairy-tale, even some fruit she grew were at lengths surreal. One time her master had admired the plants for their height, chuckling at the fact they were twice his height. 

It had been a warm sunny day, when he had come unannounced to her hothouse. Sweat had been trickling down her neck but he barely blinked at her. Instead, he had complimented her work and touched each plant with as much affection as she always did. He, as sombre as ever, cut the leaf of a dying plant. Then, he promised to buy her a new type of seed to replace it.

Lavinia had beamed at his attention. Now, she regretted revelling in his attention because it made him overprotective of her. Being so alone made Lavinia rely on material possessions and idle hobbies, so anything to occupy her mind.

There was nothing to do when he was gone. She had cleaned the house, prepped dinner because it had to be cooked once he arrived, helped groom the horses and opened all the windows for some fresh air. Sometimes, when she felt daring she wore his riding boots and explored the lands she lived on. Today wasn’t one of them.

She observed the Lilium. It came from a place she could only dream of, but she would give anything to see the place where it came from. She imagined something this beautiful had to have purple grass and a silver stream of water to grow it. The only gift she had received from her master, and one that she cherished. It was after he had… After there had been an incident and it was his way of apologising. 

She hadn’t expected it, and it was a gruff apology. He had told her to unpack his items, after a journey from the Orient. One box was labelled with her name, so he told her, and she had opened that. Unable to read, Lavinia wasn’t sure if the gift had been intentionally hers. But, she couldn’t complain. 

She thanked him sweetly, and grew more flowers in private. Now, she wondered if the pink flower meant more than she knew. He had called it a Longiflorum Oriental, Bellsong. That was the only piece of education she had received. 

“Lavinia!”

Lavinia gasped and ran out of the shed. 

“Where were you?” He demanded harshly. 

There was a quick reaction. He was clearly upset, since he usually spoke to her in a neutral tone. Indicating she had been in her haven whilst he was distressed, would probably result in the destruction of her shed. The last time had meant she had restarted her collection of summer Roses, which had taken her two years. She couldn’t start again. 

“Pulling the weeds out in the garden master,” Lavinia met his eyes, but clearly darted to the carriage being parked by one of his stable boys. 

He followed her eyes and raised an eyebrow. Lavinia’s eyes shot to the nearby stallion being pulled towards the carriage. Only Lavinia and her master could control him, but she rarely did. Her heart was beating faster with longing, until her master barked at the stable boys to move. 

She wasn’t allowed to speak to them and so kept her relationship strictly platonic. Similar to the rest of the relationships in her life, Lavinia thought it was best to allow no one to become close to her. Her owner barely commented and seemed to enjoy the fact he was the dominate male in her life, the only male.