Chapter 11: A Young Foot Soldier

“Make sure she receives this, no one else.”

The servant had only glanced at his employer, and scurried out. Running through the streets of London, he noticed many things he had never seen before. He could see how cold it was, how there was no colour apart from the dull skies and overused roads. 

Even as the sun rose there was nothing uplifting about the latest day. A good Christian thanked God for living. He couldn’t. He was cold and hungry. He had sneezed several times and his threadbare socks no longer kept the cold out; he knew the cold would last around for a while. 

But there, in that townhouse, was life. The small steps welcomed all and the smiley maid allowed him to enter, it seemed there was no servant stairway here. He left the letter on the floor and walked out straight after. 

+++

William was tired. His body was not unaware of the time, nor did it care. He hadn’t tried to move since James had left, the sinking disappointment that Katherine wasn’t coming hurt. The sun was going down, he knew that. According to the lack of warmth and miniscule light on his face, it would be night time soon.

Lester would never allow Katherine to go out so late, William hoped. Although he was reckless himself, he was extremely overprotective of his family. William had hated himself for Lester taking his punishments as a child and he hated himself for using his brother in such a way. 

Lester should have been a father. He was the eldest child and would be a fantastic one, in William’s opinion. He was not like William. He was adventurous not prudent like his brother. He had a prowess which made him so powerful in the business world, he was untouchable. Yet, he was a caring man who helped the lowest and fended for the weakest. He would have made a child so happy, he probably had a few himself. 

There were several reasons for that. One which was the simple fact Lester was a notorious cad. He dallied with different women and was not discrete about it. He refused to explain to anyone, why he was so partial to a creamy thigh or loose bodice. But, William knew he would have at least impregnated one of the women he had met between the cool bed sheets.

The other reason, Lester was lonely. After he had separated from his wife… He had looked for no other. William wondered if Katherine would be similar. He wanted her to be happy, but the thought of her heart being his only, allowed peace to sweep through him. He was ashamed but thought if she was loyal enough to never love another, because he knew he couldn’t. Maybe she was afraid. Maybe that was why Katherine hadn’t visited him. 

She was probably afraid. Seeing someone in prison was not easy and the crude remarks she would receive, was enough to put off any woman. A woman, who had been raped and sexually abused, would be frightened senseless. For that, he kept her in her prayers. 

As William leaned his head on the disgusting wall, he thought of the good which could come out of this. He’d finally repay his debt to God, with his own life. For killing a man, he’d finally rot in Hell with the worst of them. He could feel the lashes of the Devil on his cold back now, he silently asked God for forgiveness.

“Mr Blake.”

“What is it?” William demanded sharply, not even looking at the person who was at the door. He sat at the desk, facing the wall and mattress which he used to punch. It wasn’t thick and did not require as much force for his hand, and wedding ring, to sink into the material. But, he managed. He used it because he knew it was one way to stimulate his mind and muscles. It was the only activity which could allow him to focus on something other than prison.