Chapter 15: Men in Power

Chapter 15: Men In Power

The next day came too quickly. Lester had enjoyed the ignorant bliss, which he thanked rich cigars and shapely women for. The Gentleman’s club he went to, The Eagle, had a nearby brothel. He did not pretend to be a good man, he ached for a woman’s touch and if a whore, so be it. 

Why look down on them? The women had an occupation and Lester, unlike many, did not judge according to God’s book. Why was she to be condemned to Hell because she had used her body to survive? It was just as evil as him using his mind for profit. The raw, heated touch filled the emptiness he kept inside. 

The woman he had lain with the previous night, was a gypsy. He could feel the freedom on her breath as soon as she enticed him. Her body moved beneath him, the closeness they had was bonding. Yet, he knew it was a business transaction. Nothing would tempt a redheaded whore to stay in his bed a little longer!

Lester had kicked out the whore long ago. However, she had left her chemise on the floor. No wonder- His housekeeper was formidable against the women of Convent Gardens. They were usually paid before their services, since Lester wasn’t bothered if they pleased him or not. He pitied them in some way, since they were on the streets, selling their bodies for a miniscule amount of money. 

His bed was bigger when he was alone. The frustration he had used as passion, had long worn out. It had left him tired and his wavy blond hair was rubbing against his unshaven face. His eyes were still closed but he fumbled for his pantaloons, putting them on with his eyes squeezed shut. 

Kicking the ripped chemise to the side, Lester went down to his parlour for breakfast. His housekeeper was a matronly woman who clucked over him as he sat down. “Good morning Edith.”

“Good morning lovely. Where is your shirt?”

Lester glanced down and then gave a smug smile. He did not even have to get up because a maid brought him a cream morning coat. With a nod, he thanked her and slid it on, before returning to his breakfast. He could hear the whispers as the two women finished off breakfast, but ignored them and continued to sip his coffee. 

“Christian has been looking for you, he wanted to know where you were last night.” Edith scolded him as she poured him another cup of coffee, her toffee brown hair had been dragged back into a bun. She patted his hand with hers, her matrimonial ring reflecting the light.

“I hope you told him I was at work. Where is he?” Lester looked behind her to see if the young lad would dash in the room, like he usually did. 

“The bored muffin went out with Tommy, said he wanted to go to the park.” 

Lester nodded and bit into a piece of French bread, devouring the foreign dish. It was made by his French chef and unlike the laws in France, he could make sure the bread was prepared by breakfast whenever the time. So, he buttered some more of the warm dish. He could not stomach meat in the morning so brought a plate of eggs and an English muffin towards him. 

“What time will they be back?” Lester licked his lips as he swallowed more of his breakfast. 

“Tommy said noon. He does love the boy and his company, but the tutor you hired is coming after dinner.” Edith showed a picture she now owned of Christian and Tommy, which she had rolled up and pocketed in her apron. Lester smiled a little and reminded the old woman Christian had a mother and he’d be going home soon.

“Yes I know, but he can still come to visit.” Edith justified her close attachment with the boy and checked over the breakfast once more.  

Lester continued eating. He scooped some eggs up and the cutlery scraped in the near silent room. He knew Katherine was not a parent who would deny Christian contact with other people, particularly if she knew a lonely woman loved his company. Edith had never given birth to live children and treated Lester like one because of it. He loved her dearly for her devotion and understood the longing for a blessing of her own, he was patient to the same disease.