Chapter 16: Three Men, One Story.

The old habits of a servant died hard. Julian still woke up with the sun and could not sleep afterwards and his day started with his servants. Georgina had her sleep ruffled and usually joined him in the parlour a little later, usually designing in her garden or glasshouse.

Julian watched his wife pout, slyly covering his observations with The Times newspaper. She was annoyed and her beautiful crimson creation did nothing but highlight she was displeased. She was red in the cheeks and her hands were unforgiving to the poor piece of silk she held in her hands.

“What is wrong Georgina?”

“I miss Katherine. I haven’t seen her. I told her marriage would do that. She promised to write to me and visit, she knew in my condition I am not able to go out. Where is she? I thought we were friends Julian.” Georgina’s emotions had been running high of late, which the doctor explained would be an effect of her pregnancy.

Her husband wondered if she had heard. He did not speak of matters such as that because of the condition she was in. But, he stood up and passed the newspaper to her.

William’s story was the front page.

Georgina twirled with a blonde lock and strangled a sob. “They’re going to hang him today. Katherine has needed my comfort and I have been wallowing in my own selfish needs.

Julian felt guilty because he hadn’t told her. He had been in contact with the local judge but was not feeling too optimistic. The man was not easily influenced and wanted justice regardless of the defendant’s status. Julian needed to convince him William was a good man.

++++

Tommy sat in peace, ignoring the sensations of pain which was a result of sitting in the cold for too long. The surroundings were familiar and he could see Christmas decorations being put up. He had been away from England for too long, Christmas was not as widely practiced in the colonies. Now, he could see the various religious ornaments and candles being put out.

It added a little colour to the dim world. Some clearly had used this to show off their newest collections without seeming boastful, the curtains were open and they were easily displayed. Others had that religious aura. One home Tommy had walked past had servants giving out food, the master clearly at the window.

He had bowed towards the man. Tommy felt respect surge for him as a child took a muffin from his servant and scuttled off, probably to invite more friends. The man inclined his head and Tommy had continued his journey to the bench he sat on now.

The bench was covered in frost which he brushed off. It was still early and Tommy had a busy day and welcomed a little alone time whilst Christian slept. The young boy was a fantastic companion when Tommy went on errands for Lester or a servant; sometimes he had too much energy.

Tommy waited to see Luis, William’s letter boy, but was surprised when another brunette headed boy walked towards the house. Watching from a distance meant Tommy did not have to get up but he still narrowed his eyes as the young boy knocked on the door...

Dorian was to invite Mrs Blake, wife of William Blake, to dinner. He changed as he walked down the quiet street, which was a change to his usual surroundings. The peace was one more drive to get rid of the rat infested apartment he lived in with his guardian. It was the first productive thing he had done whilst working for Lester, and he had started yesterday.

Stuffing his prison uniform into his bag, Dorian hoped Mrs Blake was not as confusing as her husband. It had been several weeks now, but William Blake stared out of the window in silence. Prisoners in his position were crying out, protesting their innocence. He just stared. The prison had not drained him, but silenced the knowledge he thought he had of the world.