Chapter 61

I tried to get up, but couldn't from the hit. I looked to the right, seeing Thor and Tony try to bring him down, but couldn't just like me.

My head fell to the ground, as my eyes slowly started to close. My limbs felt weak, and I could no longer fight back.

My eyes suddenly shot open as a loud WHOOSH sounded above me, I looked to the left, and saw Steve holding Mjolnir. I did a double take, and couldn't believe what I saw.

Steve ran forward, swinging the hammer, and somehow summoning lightning. He jumped up and began throwing punches that Thanos tried to deflect.

I struggled to my feet, limping towards where Thanos and Steve were. As I got closer, I saw Thanos get the upper hand. He then knocked him to the ground, destroying his shield, then throwing Steve away from him.

"No!" I yelled, as he landed in a heap near me. Thanos turned around to face me, a satisfied look on his face upon seeing my expression, "In all my years of conquest– violence– slaughter– It was never personal... But I'll tell you now– what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet– I'm gonna enjoy it. Very, very much."

I ran to Steve as he struggled to get up, and he reached for my arm as he stood next to me. We watched Thanos's army stand behind him across the battlefield.

Thousands of enemies swarmed in front of us, and I looked behind me, Tony and Thor nowhere to be seen.

I looked forward again, my hope gone. How could Steve and I do this alone? It was impossible.

Suddenly, I heard a crackle in my comm, and by the look on Steve's face, he heard it too.

"Hey, Cap, you read me?"

I stopped very suddenly, looking behind me. That was Sam's voice.

"Cora, it's Sam. Can you hear me?"

A yellow portal began to form, the same that Strange used.

"On your left."

The portal formed completely, and three figures stepped out. T'Challa, who gave me a warm smile, and two other women I didn't recognize. I looked up seeing Sam fly above them in his Falcon suit. As he did, the smile on my face grew, and many other portals were created, and even more of my lost family came through them. Strange, Drax, Mantis, Quill, and Peter Parker.

Peter looked around, and finally saw me, running to me.

"Cora!" He then wrapped his arms around me tightly, something that I wasn't expecting, but glad for all the same. I squeezed him tight, and let go, looking around me again. I saw Bucky walk through another, and he met my eyes, giving me a smile. Wanda stood beside him, and I so badly wanted to run and give her a hug. But I knew it wasn't the time.

I looked forward, seeing the surprised face of Thanos as he saw many others walk through the portal. That look, that look that somewhat resembled fear, gave me strength. I knew what I had to fight for know. My family was back. And I sure as hell wasn't going to let them leave me again.

"AVENGERS!" Steve yelled, summoning mjolnir as we all took our fighting stances, "Assemble."