Chapter 9

"We should probably talk about it, right?" Jessica says, before Alex has even gotten a chance to greet her at school the next morning. "About what happened last night."

"I'm so sorry, Jess. I don't know why I did it, or..."

"Yeah, you do. We all know why you beat the shit out of Bryce," Jessica chuckles uncomfortably. "But that's not what I'm talking about."

"Right."

"I'm talking about you and Zach."

Alex just nods, knowing fully well that there is no point in denying it, and Jessica is grateful to not have to go through the same conversation again. So she wraps her arms around him, and she gives him a big hug.

"Go for it, okay? I know he feels the same way about you, and me and Hannah..."

"I'm so sorry."

"It's fine," Jessica says, a big smile on her face when she lets go of him. "Really. You and Zach... it just makes sense."

"It does?" Alex asks, "It doesn't make sense to me."

"Why not?"

"Because he's friends with the assholes who..."

"No, he's not." Jessica rolls her eyes. "Not really. Not anymore, I think."

"Right," Alex chuckles. "I should hate him. You get that, right?"

"Whatever. Are you seriously going to give up on the guy, just because he hung out with them? Because if you do..."

"Do what?" Hannah asks, when she pops up behind them. "Tell me."

"Can you please tell him that he's an idiot?"

"You're an idiot," Hannah says, a big grin forming on her face. "Let me guess, this is about Zach?"

"I really don't want to talk about this with you two," Alex mumbles, wishing the ground would open up and swallow him whole.

"What? Because we had sex?" Jessica laughs. "Or because Hannah and Zach..."

"Both?" Alex laughs uncomfortably. "This is really weird."

"I would rather Zach goes out with you than with some girl." Hannah shrugs. "I would probably just want to scratch her eyes out."

"Hannah!"

"Yeah, that's just scary," Alex admits. "If I find a dead rat in my locker one day, at least I'll know who put it there."

"It was a joke," Hannah laughs, but when Jessica and Alex just stare at her, the grin on her face grows bigger. "It was!"

"Yeah...," Jessica laughs, before sharing a knowing look with Alex. "I'm sure it was."

-

"Do you think Bryce will talk?" Alex asks, when Clay and Justin join them at their table for lunch. "About what I did to him?"

"He won't," Justin sighs. "Because he knows what shit we've got on him, so he wouldn't risk it."

"Do we?" Alex asks, a confused look on his face. "Have shit on him? I mean, I'm pretty sure the cops don't really give a shit about him calling people names."

"Oh, don't worry." Justin grins. "I have enough on him to make sure he keeps quiet."

"We both do," Zach reassures him, and he almost reaches out to put a hand on Alex's, but as far as he is aware, Alex and Jessica are still dating, so he keeps his hands to himself, and he quickly looks down at his drink.