Chapter 3

It's been a few weeks since Alex and Jessica started dating, and although there has only been one more actual date since her party, they had had the conversation a few days ago, and they had decided to make things official between them. Alex is still getting used to having her kissing him in the hallway, or spending every lunch with her and Hannah, and sometimes Zach, if he can manage to break away from his friends.

They were meant to hang out together, the four of them, at Monet's, but Hannah had been asked to come in earlier at the cinema and Jessica had sent a text, telling Alex she couldn't make it. So Alex is just grabbing his things, ready to go home, but just as he is about to close his locker, he hears Bryce and his friends coming into the hallway. Zach is with them, and for a moment Alex thinks it will make a difference, but when he sees the angry look on Monty's face, he knows that it's just wishful thinking.

"What are you looking at, huh?" Monty spits out.

"I wasn't...," Alex tries, but the friends are already coming over to him. "I'm sorry."

"Fucking faggot!" Monty grits through his teeth, before giving Alex a hard shove.

"Leave him alone," Zach says, and for a moment they all just look at him, shocked to have him saying something at all. "Just back off, yeah?"

"What, is he your fucking boyfriend or something?" Bryce laughs. "Is he sucking your dick?"

"Fuck you, Bryce. You think you're the big guy when you say shit like that?" Zach asks. "Is that it? You think girls will want to fuck you if you keep reminding them that you're not gay? That you're some kind of homophobic asshole?"

"What has gotten into you?" Bryce asks, staying surprisingly calm. "I was just kidding, man. But if you two are fucking..."

"For a guy who's supposedly straight, you sure seem to care a lot about...," Alex begins, but when Monty gives him another shove, before wrapping a hand around his throat, he has no choice but to keep quiet.

Zach pulls Monty off though, and he grabs onto Alex's arm, a guilty look on his face.

"Are you okay, man?"

"Holy shit," Bryce laughs. "You really are fucking him, aren't you?"

"Just shut up, Bryce," Justin spits out. "You know how dumb you sound, right? Going around, calling everyone a faggot."

"Seriously, what is going on today?" Bryce asks. "You know I'm only messing."

"Yeah, just like you were only messing when you threatened to kick my ass if I ever kissed a guy at school? Or when you kicked my head in, when I came to you to talk about this shit? I am sick of your shit, Bryce."

"Yeah? Well, if you're so sick of me, then why don't you go and find somewhere else to stay, huh?" Bryce asks, a devious grin forming on his face.

"You're kicking me out? Are you for real?"

"Look, guys...," Zach tries, but Bryce steps up to Justin, something in his eyes so dark, so evil, that it makes him keep quiet.

"You think anyone else has your back like I do, huh?" Bryce grits through his teeth, Justin trying to hide how much his words are getting to him, but he can feel himself beginning to shiver, only now realizing just what he has done. "Good luck, yeah?"

"Bryce..."

Bryce and the other guys walk off, leaving Justin, Zach and Alex standing there, trying to take in what has just happened. There is a tense silence, until Clay steps into the hallway, a guilty look on his face.