Chapter 4

Zach had been up all night, thinking about the fact he had kissed Alex. He had replayed it over and over in his head, trying to figure out what had made him do it in the first place. But every time he had come up with the same answer, and that was that he had simply wanted to. He had felt horrible about doing it though, knowing that it wasn't fair on Hannah and Alex, Jessica even. But after talking about it with Alex this morning, he does feel relieved, because maybe Alex was right, and they can just forget it ever happened. Even if when he had just seen him this morning, all he had wanted to do was kiss him again.

"Hey, man," he says, as he goes over to Justin. "Are you okay? Did you talk to Bryce after what happened yesterday?"

"I haven't seen him yet. But I really don't feel like talking to him." Justin shrugs. "I am done, Zach. I know we've been friends for years, but that guy is an asshole."

"Yeah, I know," Zach chuckles. "Are you staying with Clay?"

"He's alright, you know?" Justin asks, as they go outside, but when he sees the grin on Zach's face, he raises an eyebrow. "What? You don't like him?"

"No, I do. I think he's great."

"But?"

"Nothing," Zach laughs, wondering what Hannah would think if she knew Justin was actually beginning to like Clay. He won't tell her though, not wanting to give her any more reason to try and set them up together.

"Did you talk to the guys?" Justin asks. "Did they give you shit for standing up for Alex?"

"Nah, I have been avoiding them all day. I can't be bothered with them anymore either. It's exhausting."

"You've only just realized that?" Justin laughs.

"I ehm... if I tell you something, will you promise to keep it to yourself?" Zach asks, leading Justin over to a quiet place so they can talk.

"Of course. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just... ever since Jess started dating Alex, we've been spending more time together, you know?"

"You and Jess?"

"Me and Alex," Zach explains, and Justin nods, the smile on his face growing, already realizing where this is going. "I don't know, man, but there's just something about him that..."

"You like him?" Justin suggests, and although Zach wants to deny it, he knows that there's no point, so he just nods. "What about Hannah?"

"I like her too. I don't even know how I feel about him. Not really," Zach tries to explain, but then he sighs, an embarrassed look on his face. "I kissed him though."

"Oh, wow," Justin laughs. "And? Did he kiss you back?"

"I think so? He was pretty shocked I kissed him, so..."

"No shit," Justin laughs, his relaxed reaction making Zach breathe a sigh of relief. "Do you have feelings for him, or was it just a kiss?"

"I don't know."

"Have you had feelings for guys before?" Justin asks, but Zach just shrugs. "I'll take that as a yes?"

"I mean, I've looked at guys, sure. But it's different with Alex," Zach admits, but then he shakes his head. "It doesn't even matter. He's with Jess, and I'm pretty sure he hates my guts."

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure he doesn't," Justin says, letting out a small chuckle. "I saw the way he looked at you yesterday after you got Monty off him, so... but I get it, man, it's a difficult situation. You're with Hannah, he's dating Jess..."