~ bed time story ~

there are secret opportunities hidden inside every failure ~

~  there are secret opportunities hidden inside every failure ~

I keep my eyes trained on my computer screen in front of me. Aaron was making dinner in the kitchen that was connected to the living room, this being the first time I had seen him out of a suit.

Jack was supposed to be here soon, which made me nervous. I was living with an FBI agent who, as I learned from Derek during the car ride to the police station, was a profiler. A good one at that. And his kid.

I was always good with kids, but that didn't mean shit. Being nice to the kid would weaken my walls, turning off feelings would get me kicked out or profiled and I wasn't sure what to do. Logically I knew it was in my nature to be nice to anybody so there was no way to ignore the kid. I just didn't know how to feel about that.

I flick my eyes up towards Aaron only to see him already looking at me. His gaze was quizzical and confused, he was slightly frowning. Breaking eye contact with him, I look back at my computer, starring at the now dark screen. It must have fell asleep when I was thinking.

Tapping the space button to bring my google back up, I flinch when the front door slams open. I blur of blonde hair runs through the room, straight towards Aaron, "Daddy your home," the child squeals, excitement clear in his voice.

I smile faintly forms on my face as I stared at them. Aaron has turned off the stove and bent down on his knees, engulfing the small boy in a hug. A small smile was on his face, this being the first time I'd seen him show any type of happy emotion.

Aaron looks up towards something causing my eyes to search for what he was looking at, "Hey Jessica," he murmurs, his smile now directed at the blonde. She just nods before turning to me.

She sends him a questioning look before coming over to me, "Jessica Brooks," she states, a huge smile on her face, sticking out her hand for me to shake.

I look at her hand than her, then Aaron, before grasping it in my own, "Francesca Valentino," I clearly state, going into reporter mode. A well practiced polite smile on my face.

She nods, squinting a bit, "I've seen you somewhere," she mumbles, studying me. I nod slightly.

"I'm a reporter, I'm sure you just saw a clip or something," I shrug, turning towards Aaron. As much as he scared me, I was more comfortable around him then Jessica. Probably because I knew him longer, although not that much.

She nods slowly, sending Aaron a questioning look.
He just picks up Jack, testing him on his hip, thanking Jessica again. She leaves shortly after, leaving us all to quietly stare at one another.

Eventually Jack squirms out of Aaron's arms, running over to me, "I'm Jack Hotchner," he proclaims, a boyish grin covering his face, his tiny arm held out.