prologue

➳ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕤𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕠𝕟 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕔𝕙 𝕓𝕪 𝕕𝕠𝕟𝕠𝕧𝕒𝕟

OCTOBER 31st, 1980

THE FLASHLIGHTS were the only things the young middle-schoolers could make out through the gloom that surrounded the cemetery. With the laughter of trick-or-treaters audible in the distance, the bandmates wondered why they were out acting foolish when they could be enjoying the candy they'd grabbed in the comfort of their homes. The graves surrounded the paths they proceeded in with the three members including an overly confident keyboard player, a timid bassist, and a blonde drummer rolled their heads over to the idiot that had thought this to be something enjoyable.

Leading the group in his own attempt of gallantry, Marty McFly ignored the superstitions that had been heard previously before him and his friend's arrival. Being followed by the rest of the kids looking around the eerie scene they thought the entire idea surrounding this adventure was idiotic.

Though considering it stemmed from Marty, that wasn't much of a surprise.

"Haven't you heard the rumors?" One of the kids pointed out as he clutched onto his own flashlight over remembering what they each heard when telling others at school what their Halloween plans were. "About the lady in white."

Marty shook his head in an attempt to remain unfazed by the mention of this. "C'mon there is no lady in white."

Following along with his friend, the young girl that accompanied them nodded persistently in agreement. "Oh no, Marty, he has a point. They say she died here almost 30 years ago."

"25 years ago, exactly. In 1955 during that terrible thunderstorm," The keys player continued, the only one of the group that wasn't terrified, and stepped up onto the steps of the mausoleum not too far away from them. The kids watched on eagerly with the spotlight that was created for his story-telling now centering onto the young boy.

Marty turned around to his friends, leaning back to face the light in order to diverge his attention away from the graveyard scene they were purposefully in that was making him secretly feel uncomfortable. "On November 12th, 1955, a schoolgirl was walking home from the dance they were holding at the high school that same night. She was all alone on her steady strides back home with no one thinking the less of the situation. That is. . . until her fate was decided swiftly."

The dark cloud that had been following them on their walk now loomed overhead, the chance of rain falling soon seeming like more of a possibility. Still the boy persisted with his story with the fuel being the terror in his associate's eyes. "The road was slippery, everyone was already out tucked away for the night. . . but not the lady in white." A lightning strike sounded to send the blonde and timid boy of the group to clutch onto each other in fear. Marty looked over to the pair unamused and folded his arms. To admit goosebumps had begun to form over the eeriness of the scene playing out wasn't exactly something he'd care to admit. Especially knowing additional details would be added to make him more fearful than he already was.

"They said she was taking a short cut home out by the creek. One minute she was walking along the dirt path and the next— vanished. Until they found the body, her white dress soaked from the water that had seeped in." The boy hit his hands into a clap, everyone jumping in fright as he shone a grin over successfully spooking his friends.

The fog seeped into the cemetery now to prove how late in the night it'd gotten for the group of children to watch on in fright. "Well that's not— Well that's just a sad thing that happened? Why are you going on trying to scare us like that?" The girl commented to let go of her friend to scold the other boy boasting instead.

He smirked to take a knee and leaned forward to her. "She was a devil in disguise of the white she always wore. Everyone in the town knew it, why wouldn't you be scared?" He explained for her to shut her mouth. "Some even say they can still hear her wails by the creek where she met her demise. To warn others to proceed with caution whenever they pass by. Come to think of it, looks like there's gonna be rain."

A sudden cry from within the cemetery sent the entire group letting out a blood-curdling scream, Marty hiding behind one of the tombstones along with the others finding various places to tuck away over the potential attack of the ghost they were stupid to be talking about on an evening like this. Such noise was only replaced with a booming laughter, the group of teenagers lifting themselves to see Douglas J. Needles and his friends arriving to poke fun at them. "Well if it ain't the big M," He commented to shine a devious smile out to Marty.

He stood his ground and folded his arms at his foe. "What, Needles?"

"Heard your little band of dummies telling ghost stories. To think you'd go around joking about the lady in white like that? You're asking to get yourself in trouble," Needles warned to only heighten their ever present fear. Despite his friends now cowering in fear, Marty emotionless to the eerie statement. Even though he was, in fact, very scared. "Story is true, you know."

"No it's not," Marty told him, his bully coming up to face him close.

Needles cocked a brow over his sudden burst in confidence. "Look up Donna Walsh in a newspaper, McFly." He shoved him aside, causing for the boy to defend himself only to be roughly shoved back again to hit the steps of the mausoleum the kids were standing in front of. "What's wrong? Are you afraid of ghosts?"

♡༉ A/N
um, issa me. . . back again and publishing stories impulsively 😗 considering it's the height of spooky season, i decided to publish this in the spirit of the holiday lol. see you all v. soon and sending all my love
~J.S. 💋