Chapter 16

As I descended the stairs, the scent of fresh coffee wafted through the air. The low mumblings of my parents talking could be heard from the stairs. Like every other morning, when I entered the kitchen, my dad was at one end of the table, sipping tea and reading the paper, while my mum was at the other end of the table, looking at her phone, probably going over her schedule, timing everything out for the day.

"Ah you're awake. You look lovely dear." my dad said, shooting me a warm smile.

I returned the smile, taking my seat in between him and my mother where my normal cup of peppermint tea was sitting.

"So are you ready to go then?" mum asked, setting her phone down on the table to look at me.

"Yeah, I set my last bag by the door to take out to the car when we leave." I responded, pulling my own phone out of my bag.

I had two texts, one from Emma and one from James.

Emma's read; 'gooooooooooodmorning darling<3 OMGOMGOMG I miss you already :c hide me in your suitcase cuz you loooooooove me? REMEMBER TO STALK JAMES<3'

My stomach dropped a little as I read the part about James.

Again with me being a terrible best friend. I should just tell her at this point. At least then she would know what was going on. Maybe she would be mad, but she would be less mad if I told her now rather than playing a "sleuthing game" and trying to hide the relationship from her.

'Morning babe, I miss you too but we can hang out this weekend if you want. Have to go, I'll text you later, love you! Xxx' I replied before opening James' message.

'goodmorning love. can't wait to see you later<3 text me when you get here I'll meet you in the office to show you around'

An excited grin formed on my face. Yeah, it was a secret from everybody else, but I was just... Excited to be able to say that I was dating a guy like James. I mean, yeah. I wasn't ugly or anything, but I didn't expect to get a guy like HIM. And now I could say he really was mine. Not just a fuck buddy. He was my freaking BOOOOOYFRIEND.

"So shall we be off? Mr. Jackson said the earlier the better, and he'll have someone show you to your room and then take you around to classes since you won't know your way around quite yet." mum said, stepping delicately out of her chair, smoothing out her grey pencil skirt.

She looked quite professional, with her grey suit, her white oxford shirt perfectly starched and pristine as always. Her lips were painted a bright red colour, a little darker than mine, her long black hair pulled into an intricate twisted braid, tucked to her head. I never knew how she always managed to look so perfectly put together. From the pictures I had seen of her from the past, she always seemed to be that way. It was unbelievable.

"Yeah, I'll go out to the car." I told her, standing up, moving my now empty cup of tea to the centre of the table.

My dad was still reading the paper, not seeming to be paying much attention to us.

This must be hard on him.

I mean, I didn't want to sound like a spoiled bratty child but I was his little girl.. And I was leaving. I think it would be pretty hard for me to let my child leave the house like this.

I only waited a few minutes before my mum and dad joined me in the car, I sat in the back and my dad drove. There wasn't any music playing in the car, and I didn't want to be rude and plug my headphones in so I just sat there, tapping my phone against my leg.