Chapter 10

I smoothed my hands over my tights, removing the nonexistent lint, I just needed SOMETHING to do with my hands, I felt odd just sitting there, across from my dad in Starbucks, both of us waiting it seemed for the other to speak first. I was wearing black opaque tights, and a pair of black stiletto ankle boots, with black and white striped high waisted shorts, a black camisole and a black half-length sleeved blazer. My hair was just loose around my shoulders, with a little bit of dark gray eyeliner and my normal large, eye framing lashes.  

We had already ordered, I just ordered my favorite thing ever, a pumpkin spice latte, while my dad just had plain black coffee. Thankfully, neither of us were really 'breakfast people' so this was the acceptable equivalent to a meal for him. With my mom, she always wanted me to be at the peak of my health, when to be honest, I hated it. I wanted to be able to eat what I wanted when I wanted, or not eat stuff, I had no choice.  

"So....how was James' last night?" my dad asked finally.  

I slightly spit some of my coffee out in surprise. How had he found out?!  

A grim smile stretched slightly onto his face, disappointment evident.  

"I...I was at Emma's last night." I stuttered, cursing the fact I was one of the worlds worst liars under pressure. I was never normally this bad.  

Dad sighs, rubbing his forehead with his hand.  

"Bells...come on, you're not in trouble, you very obviously were not at Emma's. Please just....tell me where you were. I just need to know."

I bit my lip. Whenever my dad said I wouldn't be in trouble, I never would be. But...I...I didn't want him to view me differently or anything because of me staying at James'... 

But...I couldn't lie to him, that was just something I couldn't do with my dad when he confronted me like this.  

"I was at James'." I mumbled, looking down at my coffee cup.  

For some reason I felt teary eyed, but I knew I wouldn't end up crying. I just...I would always come so close to it, but normally didn't end up shedding real tears.

Dad sighed again, taking a long sip of his coffee.  

"Bells...I can't say I'm not disappointed, and I DEFINITELY don't approve. But please...next time...at least tell me that you're going over there. I was going CRAZY all night worrying about where you could be..."

I nodded slightly, now feeling a tad guilty...I still can't believe he found out.  

"I got into the school." I mumbled, lifting the cup up to my lips.  

The smallest of smiles appeared on dad's face.  

"I never doubted you getting in for a second, I knew from that dinner he was already gonna accept you." he said proudly.  

I smiled a bit, looking down at the table again, pretending to be deeply interested in the dark wood grain pattern.

"Does mom know I was out?" I asked, referring to the staying over at James'.  

Dad gave me a skeptic look.  

"Do you really think she would have let you off of practice so easily?"

By the end of our "meal" things were a tad less awkward, with us, we were talking about how things were going to be at the school.  

Dad was...curious about James. I know that it was partially a fatherly concern about what was going on, but at the same time, he seemed genuinely curious.  

"So...are you two together then..?" he asked as we stood up, making our way towards the exit.

I shook my head, a slight frown on my face.