Chapter 28

“How are you two able to sit together and act like everything is fine?” I asked, breaking the silence.

My mother and Louis looked over at me, both startled and befuddled.

“What are you on about?” mom asked, shifting uncomfortably in her seat.

We were in a taxi, on our way to the hotel that Louis had booked us rooms in. One room for each of us. I had overlooked a hotel in my rush to purchase plane tickets, so I was quite lucky Louis had thought it through for me.

“I mean.” I said slowly “That I don't understand how you two can sit there and be satisfied with a 'just friends' relationship after everything that you guys went through.”

It didn't make any sense to me. They had been living together, sleeping together, they had a freaking KID together. And now they were married to different people, Louis expecting another child, acting as if nothing went on between them and they were just the best of friends, as always.

Louis and my mother shared another uncomfortable glance, unsure of what to say.

“Bella, can we please discuss this later?” mom asked, casting her eyes towards the driver.

I flopped back into my seat with a sigh, fiddling with my phone. Tristan had texted me a few times, but I hadn't read them yet. No word from James, and still nothing from Emma. I had been tempted to text Tristan back just to have something to do.

The realization though that James hadn't tried to speak to me once was hitting me hard. He was probably off with some other girl right now, maybe even Emma, just to spite me. He was a player before, and he'll be the same now.

No, stop. I thought glumly. You're the one that messed up, not him. He has every right to go off with those other girls.

Unable to resist any longer, I slid open my phone, pulling up Tristan's messages.

Bella, I'm sorry, okay? I messed up, big time. Can we please talk?

Come on. Please don't ignore me.

I'm coming down to see you.

Where are you?

Hello?