Chapter 46 - An Unexpected Proposal (Part 2)

Tristan

Castle of Grytia

The several chandeliers hanging from the ceiling sparkled within the middle of hall, sending the gilded walls and pillars aglow. It was already late in the evening as Tristan sat with his friends and council members for dinner at the long banquet table, with Alina stuck to his side. They had already finished eating a while ago, but the men could never finish talking. Especially with the recent news about the Kassarathi attacks on the North.

"That's for our best interest anyway," one of the council members said. "At least the Northmen now have something to keep them away from Grytia."

"It might sound like a good thing for the moment, but the consequences will not remain in our favor for long," Tristan said as his fingers caressed Alina's legs beneath the table. "The Kassarathi presence in the North is going to upset the peace in Engeldom. Besides they are unpredictable. We might have gotten rid of the Northmen's trouble, but soon we will have the Kassarathi to deal with."

A few side talks broke following Tristan's words, mostly agreeing with what he said.

"Tristan," Alina whispered, and he quickly turned to her with a gentle smile, ignoring any other important talks he was involved in at the moment.

"Yes my love?"

"Can I leave? I'm not really in the mood for these political talks, besides..." she hesitated, and Tristan could notice her blushing.

"What?" he frowned skeptically.

"I... I want to see Alexander, because... I met him earlier today and...," she blushed deeper, her cheeks as red as the scarlet velvet dress she was wearing. "I asked him to make me a dress... a... a wedding dress..." Alina barely finished with a whisper and lowered her head.

A deep surge of warmth filled Tristan's heart, and his chest swelled with emotion. He was lost for words, and he felt his own cheeks glowing, not with embarrassment, but with deep love. And next, he pulled Alina into his embrace, before he landed his mouth onto hers. He didn't care for the soft chuckles and the few whistles that surrounded him as he kissed Alina right before every one. He didn't care, because at that moment he felt that there was no one else in this whole world. No one else except for him and Alina. But he finally had to break the kiss before things got a bit too heated.

"Go on my love," Tristan looked down at Alina with a gentle smile. "Go find Alexander, and tell him that I am personally ordering him to make you the most beautiful wedding dress in Engeldom."

Alina almost squealed with excitement as she hopped off Tristan's lap, and his eyes followed her fondly as she left the hall, her long chestnut waves flowing behind her.

"Do you have something to tell me?" Edward asked with a knowing smile on his face as he leaned in close to Tristan, taking Alina's place. "Because I believe I heard the word wedding."

"I asked Alina to marry me," Tristan said and Edward burst out laughing.

"I knew it! I was just waiting to see how long it takes you to finally give in."

"Look who's talking? The biggest fool in Vausetrland," Tristan scoffed. "How long have you been in love with her?" Tristan gestured towards Cylia who seemed to be in a deep conversation with an elder knight. "Huh? Why haven't you given in yet?"

"Mine is a different case," Edward lowered his head, his earlier cheerful mood slightly dampened. "She doesn't feel the same way about me."

"And how would you know if you don't tell her?"

"I just know..." Edward smiled, but Tristan could tell that his smile did not reach his eyes.

Tristan couldn't help but feel sorry for his best friend. Edward was a very gentle soul, and he couldn't stand seeing him looking so brokenhearted. Stupid Cylia. How could she not love someone like Edward? Tristan frowned thoughtfully as he watched Edward, noticing how his honey eyes followed Cylia's every move with awe.